The Color Of The Inside Of My Mouth | Teen Ink

The Color Of The Inside Of My Mouth MAG

By Bassoonkelley GOLD, Tampa, Florida
Bassoonkelley GOLD, Tampa, Florida

I wipe at my stupid eyes with the back of my hand, and it startles me for a second that my tears are gray. I dunno why it surprised me; I mean, I buy the s***ty mascara that’s $1.99 in the 20 Items or Less checkout lane. Why spend oodles of green on something I hardly ever use?

I just wanted to look nice, you know? Like those girls who’re just naturally fake pretty. The girls who can blend shades of eyeshadow like no one’s business, and match their lipstick to the exact color of their toenail polish or whatever. Seemingly effortless, yet impeccably coordinated.

This is good stuff, I should write for a living – solely on the subject of beauty queens with superiority complexes, of course.

I just want … God, what do I want? I want to feel the sun on my face and paint the clouds and hear the music in the trees and love myself and love someone else and just feel perpetually beautiful.

But that requires the $14.99 waterproof, fire-retardant, Grade-5-hurricane-resistant mascara, not the tube that’s two bucks in Lane 4.

My shoes are dirty and outdated, but that’s how I like them. I like these shoes. They’re comfortable. Why do I need new, expensive, fashionably appealing shoes in order for someone to say, “Hey dogg, you look nice today”?

And why is it that whenever I get deathly bored and slather cheap, pore-clogging makeup all over my face everyone suddenly says, “Wow, you look pretty!”? Since when is “pretty” about whale blubber and cocoa butter?

I’ll tell you one thing, though. I most definitely am not crying about some stupid XY.

Definitely not.

I’m crying for all the whales that have to give up their fatty insulation so that some fugly anorexic super bitch can paint herself pretty every freaking day, giving him something halfway decent to oggle all the time.

Seriously, I’m not leaking saltwater over a guy.

I just think it’s cruel and unfair that the fat-endowed marine life population doesn’t even get the slightest warning that they’ll soon be on a cosmetics endcap at K-Mart.

He could have at least broken it to me gently, you know? We’ve been friends since the George Bush/Al Gore debacle.

I mean come the Bette Midler on.

I spill my blood, guts, and viscera out to this guy and he throws down the “Let’s just be friends” card without a second thought?

It’s just … it’s common courtesy to ease someone into heartbreak, not smash it over their head like a whiffleball bat.

You know what? I’m going to take my $1.99 checkout Lane 4 mascara and chuck it right at her big, stupid square head.

This is literally an excerpt from my journal, so it's a little different when it comes to writing style.

Bassoonkelley GOLD, Tampa, Florida
I do play, actually, I've been playing for almost eight years now :) I play at my University. Thanks for all of the feedback, feel free to browse my other works!

adastraabextra GOLD, Moonstone, California
wow i LOVE this. terrific!!

Josifer BRONZE said...
Josifer BRONZE, Pinckney, Michigan

"Sometimes we give our enemies the means to our destruction."

OMG I love it. And I was looking for your name and noticed it says Bassoon, do you play? I do. Haha. (Too bad we cant march bassoon...that's be wicked.) But back to the point. Love it. Love it. Love it! I feel like one of those older operah singing lady's. "Daaarling, It's absoltuly stunning!"

Faith Carbon said...
Faith Carbon, New York, New York
wow

this is really great

Bassoonkelley GOLD, Tampa, Florida
The title, "The Color Of The Inside Of My Mouth," is just that; a fleshy, pinkish purple. Like when you're crying, screaming, etc. and the skin of your throat is visible. It's a raw color, like the emotion in the piece.

Fredwardness SILVER, Romeo, Michigan

"The stars are blazing like rebel diamonds cut out of the sun" -The Killers (Read My Mind)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -George Harrison

Um how is it not wierd? i didnt say it was bad, i like wierd things...oh and dont b so mean

Fredwardness

fish r sweet

MusicalXMolly SILVER, Shelby Twp, Michigan

Live the life you love. Love the life you live.

This was one of the most amazing pieces ive ever read on teenink. I could completely relate to the girl, and i felt like i knew exactly why she was feeling like that. Amazing.

Saudade said...
Saudade, Dallas, Texas
i love this piece

i feel like i can relate to a lot of it.

Emily(: BRONZE said...
Emily(: BRONZE, Montclair, Virginia

love is giving someone the power to destroy you...but trusting them not to

wow. intense. good....i like that its ur true feelings (:

Aitana1515 said...
I know how you feel and totaly agree. Everyone tells me how much more prettier I'll look with make-up and without my glasses. But I think, what's the point of taking off my glasses. Yeah I might look pretty, but I'll be BLIND! What's the point

-Kal- GOLD said...
-Kal- GOLD, Carthage, North Carolina

"Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible, and recieves the impossible"
-Anonymous

haha. totally right anabelle ;)

-Kal- GOLD said...
-Kal- GOLD, Carthage, North Carolina

-Anonymous

all i can say is that you're obviously very passionate about you're feelings

MeganAnne PLATINUM, Niskayuna, New York

All my life I've looked at words as if I were seeing them for the first time. ~Ernest Hemingway

Really true. I felt your words, and I felt your anger. Amazing. If your journal entries are like this, you have a gift. Nice job.

Oh, and adding on to an earlier comment, if you expanded on this story, it would make a great, refreshing, true-to-life novel. Please think about this, because I'd buy it!

Wow, that was amazing. I loved how honest it was, how you tried to convince yourself you weren't crying over a boy but you slowly admitted you were. It was really sweet and true, and I could definitely see myself saying that. Keep writing! I love it!

KaileeDancerChick BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

Whoever said Sunshine is the key to happiness has never danced in the rain.

This was a great piece of writing. But I'm not sure why the title is what it is. Also, The point of this is kind of unclear why you went from mascara to a boy. Other then that awsome job! Keep Writing!

brittgrace13 SILVER, Sunman, Indiana

View life as a continuous learning experience.

In a way, this made me laugh. I thought it was funny, but I loved it. Nice attitude(;

SilverAngel SILVER, West Carollton, Ohio

"Life is an open book, we take the journey until the end." ~Me

Very good work!

Fredwardness SILVER, Romeo, Michigan

y would u say the article is awesome?? mayb it just isnt my kind of taste in reading (no offense to the writer)

Fredwardness

Annabelle7614, Nunyabusiness, Georgia

This is my favorite personal quote.

Weird? Why would you say that? This is an awesome article! This writer rocks!