Mockingjay | Teen Ink

Mockingjay

By Thomas Lehman BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Thomas Lehman BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

The final book in Suzanne Collins’ trilogy, Mockingjay, is a major kick in the gut. The ending really brought a shock to the reviewer because of the way things were going in the first two books. A.R. Bovey, the author of the review, believes that this ending was an accurate depiction of what could happen in reality because it’s not a typical fairytale happy ending. It is clear that in the book the Rebels want Katniss to be a symbol of the rebellion and is kind of like a pawn for them. The reviewer clearly states that this is a story of war and it truly is.

This book was a very big eye opener for me for several reasons. One yardstick that I would say this review had was Reflection of Reality. When I first started reading this book I thought it was going to be like the first two but it couldn’t have been more different. This book was strictly about war and that was it, so it was easy to figure out what the main plot line was. This book reflects our world, as we know it and has children fighting in war just like how they are in Africa. Needles to say, this was not a fairytale ending. It was very creative and had vivid imagery of what the scenes were like. This brings up my second yardstick, Literary Artistry. I could picture seeing it all in my head as I read. I thought that Suzanne Collins did a great job on keeping the characters the same through out all three books but totally changed the plot in Mockingjay but kept it strong.

I strongly recommend this book to young adults that are into non-stop action. The end is kind of disappointing I will admit but it concludes the trilogy in a smart way. The events that happen in the end are so shocking that you won’t like it at first, but then you realize that these books are not about happy endings. Overall, This was a great conclusion to a fantastic trilogy.