Code Orange | Teen Ink

Code Orange

December 5, 2007
By Anonymous

Code Orange
By: Caroline B Cooney

16 year old Mitty Blake is one of those high school kids who loves to procrastinate with everything. He really doesn't care about grades. The only reason he goes to school is to see Olivia in advanced biology. Mitty has a huge biology report due on infectious diseases, and when he finds something resembling scabs he chooses his project disease, Small Pox. He has no idea that Small Pox destroyed the lives of many people throughout the entire world. In fact, what he didn't know was the scabs could have been deadly. Now, after inhaling the fumes from the scabs, Mitty must do something he has hated all his life, study. He needs to study the effects of Small Pox and learn about the disease to save his own life.
Mitty tries to learn about Small Pox through text books, but all he learns from them are how bad Small Pox is. Then he tries to learn about the disease online, but that didn't help. While he was walking through the city of New York, he was abducted by terrorists who want Mitty to become infected with Small Pox so the terrorists could infect New York with Small Pox. Can Mitty stop the terrorists before it's too late?

Code Orange is one of the greatest books I have ever read. I give the book 5 out of 5 stars. The book instantly grabs your attention and you can't stop reading it until you finish the book. I believe the author wrote this book to warn everybody how fast one disease could kill millions. I think she wrote the book to remind people that Small Pox is real, and it is deadly. Few have survived the disease. She wrote the book also because to remember the poor innocent victims of Small Pox.

The theme of the book was to tell people about a deadly disease that never dies off. In the span of a day, a disease could go from not deadly to a nation's catastrophe. The theme was also that how one disease could be so deadly.