Chicken Boy by Frances O'roark Dowell | Teen Ink

Chicken Boy by Frances O'roark Dowell

March 7, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Seventh grade is hard enough right? For Tobin McCauley it has been a complete nightmare! From the author of the award winning book Dovey Coe, comes Chicken Boy!

Tobin's life is a mess, his mom has died, he has delinquents for siblings, and his father and grandmother's feud threaten to tear the weak family bonds apart. When seventh grade starts his grandmother is arrested and Tobin in friendless. As school goes on, Tobin gets into a fight after another student insults his favorite teacher. He befriends the student who helped him in the fight, Henry. Henry is very different from other students. His hobby is raising and studying chickens because he believes that through studying the chicken's soul, it will reveal the meaning of life. Tobin eventually develops this hobby and the two become very good friends. Everything begins to turn around until his grandma does something that gets Tobin taken away from his dad and thrown into foster care. Could life get better or worse? To find out, just pick up this book.

This book is definitely worth reading. It is full of well developed characters that you wish actually existed; the details are also very specific in a quick one to three words. The plot is very well written and thought out and not rushed. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate this book a 9.6 because no book is perfect, but this book is not far from it.