Lush | Teen Ink

Lush

Lush
Natasha Friend

Lush is an astonishing novel about a 13-year-old girl name Samantha. Sam and her younger brother Luke are trying to cope with their father being an alcoholic. He comes home drunk every night and gets violent and stupid. One night their father did such a drastic physical thing, that his son wound up in the hospital.

I loved Samantha because she stood up for her herself and the people she loved. For example, when she was forced to do something sexually she was not ready for, she put her foot down and said NO, like every other 13-year-old girl would. She also spoke her mind, which impresses me with all the stress from her at-home life. Sam's experiences with trying to fit in with the popular girls are interesting to read. I never wanted to put down this detailed and touching novel. Samantha's story is absolutely amazing and you really feel for her emotions. I recommend this book for teenage girls or anyone with an alcoholic parent. If you have read Perfect, also written by Friend; then you should read Lush.