Finding Happiness | Teen Ink

Finding Happiness

What is happiness? How do we find it? How can we keep it? Well, "Happiness depends on ourselves"(Aristotle). Happiness is something anyone can achieve. Anyone can be happy.

"Happiness is a mental state or emotional state of well being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions"(Wikipedia). I am sure this is a definition we can all agree upon , but what is it that makes us happy? Clothes, an imported car, a big house? Yeah, those make us happy and even boost our pride. But for how long will materialistic things keep us happy? A few days, maybe a couple of months at most? This is what I call "momentary happiness". We are overwhelmed and joyed for a small moment of time, but once that time runs out we are left with the craving for something newer and better.

Of course the society we live in has much to do with this issue. We were all born into an age of materialism. We were born into a society where people aim toward only one goal and that is living a good life. A person may describe a "good life" as having a good job and a nice house, more simply defined as the "American Dream". This is what we have all been taught by the world that surrounds us. But then we begin to crave more than just the American Dream,  so we turn out heads towards more momentary happiness. So what is it that keeps is happy in the long run?

Your happiness depends on you. Someone in Asia might say that family is what makes them happiest in the long run, while somebody else across the globe may say it's health. I believe that happiness is being content with the basic parts of  life. Being happy with the roof over your head, although the roof may be small. Being happy with the food in your fridge, although the fridge may be old. We forget to be happy for the small things in life, the small things that in reality are the largest. Most importantly, don't envy those who may have a little more than you, and just hope that they do not spend their entire lives searching for their next momentary happiness.

Most importantly, people. People are the keys to our heart. A human is meant to interact with others, for we are not meant for isolation. Surround yourself with people who have humble hearts regardless of where you stand. Although a friend like this may be rare to find, once you find this person, understand how important and special they are to you.

This is what I believe happiness is. Gratefulness for the basics. Don't envy those who may have a little more than you. Lastly appreciate the good and rare people that surround you. I can proudly say I am happy. After reading this I hope you too, can see how blessed you truly are...