Popular or Crazy? | Teen Ink

Popular or Crazy?

By hbeats4u2 SILVER, MPLS, Minnesota
hbeats4u2 SILVER, MPLS, Minnesota

My personal favorite quote would have to be; "Don't judge a book by its cover."

Hey. I am DEFINITELY not the "popular" one. I am more of the girl who has all the weird clothes. I know people like the name brands. (Such as Hollister, Aeropostale, Ambercrombie, Wet Seal, etc.) Well, I don't. I think that those "popular" kids who where them have no inside sight on their own unique style. Please don't judge me because of that, because this all my opinion. I think that all these popular kids are jealous. We all need to realize that you shouldn't judge people on what they wear. (Hence my favorite saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover.")

ShatteredHeArT SILVER, Americus, Georgia

LIFE offers us choices and forces us to live with the consequences of our decisions.

you are so true

forgottenpenname GOLD, Troy, Michigan

"Carpe diem."

I'd like to point out that all you're doing with this article is producing a list of logical falacies much the same as the ones the "popular" kids have probably made about you (hasty generalization, etc, etc). You say "don't judge a book by its cover"? You just did. You have no idea what goes on in those kids' heads. Yes, them judging you is wrong, but you judging them is just as wrong -- maybe even worse, since you know how bad it feels to be judged. 

What you should do is write about how judging's bad. I'm a middle of the road kind of person. I wear the name brands, because I think they're cute, but I also hang out with the "weird clothes" kids, along with some the more popular ones.

What I realized, after a while, is that although we all dress differently, we all go through a lot of the same experiences, and beneath it all, we have the same emotions.

You may go as far as to say that the pops care about stupid things like clothes and makeup, or whatever, but they think that what you care about's stupid too. It's all just a matter of opinion.

Now, please don't get really mad at me over writing this, because in the past, I would have agreed with you. You just have to understand that the populars are just as real and human as you are, and although saying that someone's jealous of you probably makes you feel better, it's more than likely not true.

...  Now, as for the writing itself, I agree with Esi. It's too short. All you did was get me up in arms. When writing an opinion piece, it's important to also show the counter argument of the one you make. When all you do is show your side of it all, the reader is far less likely to agree with you.

Good job putting yourself into it, though, because that's also very important. You have a voice that needs to be heard.

Keep writing! Maybe if you work a little bit more on this piece you'll be able to convince me. *wink, wink*

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

It's a good point which I agree with but it's a bit short. Try to elaborate some more so that people that disagree might be convinced.

sublime3dg said...
i disagree. i dont think you can make a generalization like that about a group of people.

When I read your stuff that you type I start thinking of good stuff to say to you like that: YOU HAVE A GREAT PERSONALIY.

twilighter_360 GOLD, NYOB, New Jersey

"A bird dosen't sing because it has an answer.A bird sings because it has a song." -- Maya Angelou

"Give peace a chance." --John Lennon

im a name brand person but i do wish more ppl would branch out and embrace their individuality

nancyy. SILVER said...
nancyy. SILVER, Strawn, Texas
ha, i totally agree! :)