Tone Down the Trend | Teen Ink

Tone Down the Trend

By MelDay BRONZE, New York City, New York
MelDay BRONZE, New York City, New York

When was the last time you saw a classmate sporting a silk 8 inch shoulder top and low-crotch menswear capris? I don't think I ever have. Even Seventeen magazine tells us these along with see-through lace, four shade eyeshadow, and couduroy are the fall must haves this fall. For me? I've yet to see one girl with ANY of this. I personally think fashion magazines and companies should tone down on the trends, and give us some affordable ways to wear them. Motorcycle jackets in Seventeen range from $48-$102. What teenager can afford that, other than Miley Cyrus? I want to hear about colors we can match together, and how drugstore eyeliner works just as well as the $40 brand name stuff they show us (because it does). I don't know anyone my age who would even want ankle boots with chains hanging down from them. Tell us how Target's new leather jackets look really nice, at only $24, and American Eagle's $9 necklaces are super cute. Not that Marc Jacobs models look fabulous in stomach-revealing buttondown jackets and mini dresses. For a final word, teens are being too influenced by unaffordable clothing. It's irrelavent to all the running around we do and how low key we truly are.

I've read many fashion magazines lately and I think the trends they're trying to start are too high key for a teenager to follow.

Kiera99 said...
Kiera99, San Marcos, California

"If I had another face, do you think I'd wear this one?" -Abraham Lincoln

That is so true! I hate it when all the items in those teen magazines are over a hundred dollars. Who can afford that? You should send this piece into Seventeen!

Oh my gosh, I couldn't agree more! I love Seventeen, but some of their styles are the sort of thing you wouldn't see a teenager caught dead wearing. Like, the stilettos? When do I, as a sophomore in high school, have occasion to wear those, other than to a school dance or something? And the prices are ridiculous, I remember in one issue they were advertising a $25 hair tie. Ridiculous! Another thing they don't consider is that some schools have dress codes. I can't wear the cute just-for-school outifts they feature because I'd be told to change if I wore a tank top or miniskirt. I think their intentions are good and the fashion itself is great, but it's not in touch with what being a teen is like.

SoulxFinder BRONZE, Cobourg, Other

The death of a beautiful woman, is unquestionably the most poetical topic in the world. - Edgar Allan Poe

I love this ! I think this is interesting and more teenagers need to read this type of thing.
It's true... how are kids who work at McDonalds going to afford Louis Vuitton and Gucci? Good work !

JeanGrey GOLD said...
JeanGrey GOLD, Mason City, Iowa

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."-Oscar Wilde

So true! Love your articles!