Curbing Carbon Cleanly | Teen Ink

Curbing Carbon Cleanly

March 31, 2023
By 2024jaychoi GOLD, Seoul, Alabama
2024jaychoi GOLD, Seoul, Alabama
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Most people view global warming through a linear perspective. That is to say, they believe carbon emissions and global warming occur in tandem. While there might be some truth to this idea, the factor that we should be focusing on — climate consequences — does not correlate as smoothly. One, two, or three percent more CO2 in the atmosphere does not equate to one, two, or three percent more impact. Instead, humans need to focus on the cumulative effects of having vast quantities of carbon in the air around us, which is driving us closer and closer to what scientists deem as climate tipping points. Consequently, if money and technology weren’t obstacles, carbon capture and storage would be the ultimate solution since this would eradicate the problem at its source.

‘While we rely on trees to absorb CO2 through photosynthesis that already circulates the atmosphere, technology already exists that can significantly limit what is actually emitted in the first place. For instance, highly-advanced filters can capture flue gasses before they exit industrial facilities or power plants, and oxyfuel combustion technologies have the ability to burn fuel in pure oxygen so that it is more easily captured. This might sound unworldly, but the reality is that the technology is out there waiting to be expanded into something that can truly make a difference.

Once the carbon is captured, it can be transported by pipelines, trucks, or ships to storage or utilization sites. There are countless depleted oil and gas reservoirs, deep saline aquifers, or unmineable coal seams that offer a safe home for the captured carbon. Alternatively, the carbon could be reused in the production of chemicals, fuels, or as a feedstock. Despite some opponents voicing concern about the potential for CO2 leakage at storage sites, advanced technology of similar standard to that seen at nuclear sites would ensure this could be avoided.

Presently, such a reality is out of sight because of the challenges associated with the technology, such as the high cost of implementation. When the world as we know it sits on the edge of a cliff, cost should not be a factor that stands in our way. With it being proven year after year that carbon eradication is beyond the abilities and desires of humans, we need to confront the issue in a more practical way by living with it in a sustainable manner.


The author's comments:

As someone who lives in downtown Seoul, South Korea, I am acutely aware of the consequences of global warming. People around the world are beginning to remove their masks following the passing of Covid-19, but here in Seoul we keep them firmly on our faces due to the severe air pollution problem. In the future, I do not want my children to grow up in the same toxic environment as me; thus, it is essential that the world comes together to solve this critical issue. No matter where people are in the world, they are impacted by this issue; therefore, everyone should be invested in resolving it.