The Umbrella Academy | Teen Ink

The Umbrella Academy

November 25, 2023
By chaotic-writing-person BRONZE, Košice, Other
chaotic-writing-person BRONZE, Košice, Other
3 articles 1 photo 3 comments

When The Umbrella Academy was first released on Netflix, for a few weeks it was a phenomenon that you might at least have heard of. TUA has been a bit forgotten lately, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a great show.

Briefly summarized: Estranged siblings with extraordinary abilities reunite after their father's death, revealing shocking family secrets and dangers to all of humanity (by Netflix)

Summary: The series takes place in an alternative universe where Kennedy never died. However, this is not the only anomaly (you will notice this quickly). Children were also born to 49 women out of nowhere. A quirky guy named Reginald says he's going to adopt them all.

It didn't work out for him a bit, and he only managed to adopt seven of them. He founds The Umbrella Academy, an academy for children with superpowers. That's right - those kids have superpowers that are great.

The first part begins when all the siblings learn that their "father" Reginald is dead. So everyone is meeting for the first time after more than ten years. However, the funeral is interrupted by Number Five. A lost half-sibling who disappeared as a child, and now a fifty-year-old is stuck in the body of a thirteen-year-old boy. And he claims that the world will end in eight days and the apocalypse will break out and destroy the world. Action start, I know, but this series is special in something else.

When you start watching The Umbrella Academy, you expect an action series about a bunch of half-siblings with superpowers. Yes, there is action, but not much. The Umbrella Academy is a series about characters. We get to know their lives as children raised to be superheroes. We get to know their mutual relationships, problems and things they don't talk about that much.

Soundtrack: So why am I adding this? Because this series has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. It's spot on, it's perfect, and you'll love it. 

TW of the series: The series is a bit bloody, but if you didn't have a problem with, for example, Wednesday (also a phenomenon from Netflix), you can probably guess it. And it is mentioned that Klaus was taking drugs. Some characters (I'm looking at you Klaus, Vanja and Five) have a lot of trauma.

Info: The show has three seasons and a fourth is scheduled for next year. The main characters are cast  Elliot Page, Tom Hopper, David Castañeda Jr., Emmy Raver-Lampman, Robert Sheehan, Aidan Gallagher, Mary J. Blige, Cameron Britton, Adam Godley, and Colm Feore.