The Good Place | Teen Ink

The Good Place

By natkoz BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
natkoz BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Self-proclaimed ‘Arizona Trash Bag’ Eleanor Shellstrop wakes up in a waiting room, meets Michael the Architect, and is told that she’s dead and in The Good Place. Through a series of chaotic revelations, Eleanor realizes that she is in The Good Place by mistake and belongs in The Bad Place. She meets her assigned soulmate, Chidi, a moral philosophy professor, and convinces him to help her lie to avoid being banished to The Bad Place; and despite his strong moral values, he agrees. Eleanor’s no-filter-attitude makes it difficult to keep her identity a secret, so Chidi decides to teach her the basics of moral philosophy. Eleanor and Chidi attempt to keep up the act while meeting their neighbors Tahani and Jason. Tahani is a brilliant philanthropist, and Jason(AKA “Jianyu”) is a Buddhist monk sworn to silence, even in the afterlife. Eleanor, Chidi, Tahani, and Jason, the core characters of the show, help each other in countless ways to become ethically better, more caring people. 

The Good Place explores well-known philosophy concepts, yet remains humorous and upbeat through the characters' interactions and challenges. The plot of the show includes fantasy and sci-fi elements such as time jumps, a Siri-like character named Janet, memory wipes, and many other unexpected twists. On top of that, The Good Place stays true to its message as it delves deeper into what it means to be a good person. 

Eleanor, Chidi, Tahani, and Jason are developed throughout the show and display character growth that allows for refreshing, well-rounded characters. Kristen Bell creates an utterly moving and hilarious performance as Eleanor Shellstrop. Chidi Anagonye, played by William Jackson Harper, is brilliantly delivered as a passionate and anxiety-prone moral professor. Jameela Al Jamil has recently begun her acting career, so her beautiful portrayal of the snobbish, yet lovable, Tahani Al Jamil is impressive. Manny Jacinto displays his broad acting range as he switches from Jianyu, a silent Buddhist monk, to Jason Mendoza, an oblivious DJ from Jacksonville, Florida. 

The Good Place exceeded all of my expectations. I expected the sci-fi and fantasy elements to distract from the storyline, but they are well integrated and help progress the plot and the characters’ goals. Although the show is unrealistic at times, since it takes place in a hypothetical afterlife, the producers get away with more than they would in a typical setting. This allows for a fresh and thought-provoking show, unlike anything else I have watched. The Good Place is unique in the way it brings attention to the importance of kindness and humanity in our current society. Despite its sometimes complex messages to the audience, The Good Place remains lighthearted and exciting for viewers to watch.