Review of Carmen Sandiego | Teen Ink

Review of Carmen Sandiego

By brokenchipmunk BRONZE, New York, New York
brokenchipmunk BRONZE, New York, New York

Standing silently on a rooftop, in a cafe, or maybe even right next to you, a figure in red waits, hidden in plain sight. She’s only twenty, yet she’s the number one enemy of some of the most dangerous people in the world. Welcome to Netflix’s reboot of the beloved ’90s game show, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, where an Argentinian woman and her odd pack of friends use their villainous skills for good. The popular series (now shortened to just Carmen Sandiego) has been well received since its release in early 2019, winning a Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation and nominations for four other awards. Carmen Sandiego is an interesting, action-packed show suitable for all ages because of its creative characters, beautiful animation, and engaging plot.

Carmen Sandiego follows the story of a young thief, Carmen Sandiego (Gina Rodriguez), and her adventures in heroics. Aided by a hacker, Player (Stranger Things’ Finn Wolfhard), and a brother-sister duo from Boston, Zach and Ivy (Michael Hawley and Abby Trott), she works at taking down the people that raised her: an organization called V.I.L.E. (Villains International League of Evil). Since its debut on Netflix, the show has released nineteen episodes over two seasons. Each episode is around twenty minutes long and takes place in a different part of the world, mostly in well-known cities or countries.

Keeping with the spirit of past reboots, Carmen Sandiego strives to teach its viewers a lesson on geography. Each time Carmen and her pack arrive in a new place, there’s a segment on said place’s history. And while, yes, it is interesting to learn that Indonesia produces 70 million tons of rice per year, learning so can sometimes be distracting. The transitions from plot to facts to plot can be awkward and pull you out of the moment. But the time spent on geography isn’t wasted. The main conflict in many of the episodes is directly connected to the episode’s region. For example, an antagonist will often try to steal something a country is famous for, such as a diamond or 70 million tons of Indonesian rice. Because the show gives you background knowledge, the brief storyline of each episode can come to a more satisfying conclusion.

However, the most important part of the series isn’t its ability to force you to learn, it’s the show’s animation. Carmen Sandiego’s beautiful art brings the characters to life. Everything from bleakest expression to the most complicated movement is shown clearly. Action sequences are realistic and fun to watch. From the emotion and passion of each fight scene to the hesitation of a difficult conversation, everything is captured perfectly. The animation is also unique to this reboot, so there are many differences in visuals between this one and past versions. However, what separates Carmen Sandiego from the rest of the franchise isn’t only the animation, it’s also Carmen Sandiego herself.

In every variant of Carmen Sandiego’s story, she’s a villain, someone who steals for the thrill and the monetary gain. Well, almost every variant. Gina Rodriguez’s Carmen Sandiego presents herself as a hidden hero, a thief not by choice, but by obligation. 2019 Carmen prides herself on only stealing from villains with the help of her friends, Zack, Ivy, and Player. This contrasts with all previous adaptations, in which Zach and Ivy are the teenage heroes trying to stop her and Player is, quite literally, the player of the Carmen Sandiego game (or the viewer, if you’re watching the show). The characters also differ in ages and nationalities. In the 1994 animated series, she’s from San Francisco and well past her early twenties, whereas in the Netflix revival, she was born in Buenos Aires and is only just out of her teens. Despite the many differences between each incarnation of Carmen Sandiego, they’re all tied together by their iconic red coats.

In the most recent reboot, Carmen is a hero, but she is surrounded by villainy. From her parental figures to her love interests, most of the people in her life are (or were) bad. Even her coat was stolen from one of her enemies (one played by Rita Moreno, the original Carmen Sandiego). There’s practically evil in her blood. Yet, despite all of this, Carmen actively chooses to be good, which is what makes her such a compelling character. Carmen and her gang all have a strong capability to be criminals, to be evil. But, rather than doing what was expected and going bad, they forged their own paths and dedicated themselves to helping people. By choosing to be good, the group found each other.

Carmen Sandiego is truly an amazing show. Through stunning animation, the series tells the tale of a family of young thieves who find happiness in defending and protecting others. The addictive storyline is supported by fantastic figures, such as the title character. Though the show is marketed to younger audiences, you’ll soon find yourself falling in love with it after only a few episodes. There’s no doubt that once given a chance, Carmen Sandiego will definitely steal your heart.