Stranger Things Review | Teen Ink

Stranger Things Review

November 19, 2018
By fionamei SILVER, New York City, New York
fionamei SILVER, New York City, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

With the third season coming out next year, the thrilling sci-fi series, Stranger Things, has kept many viewers entertained for the past two years. Matt and Ross Duffer’s series gave me goosebumps as I wondered what will happen next. Each episode is packed with horror yet balanced out with humor and lightheartedness. In this show, all unusual events are connected, and viewers get to watch as the characters unravel the mysteries of their town.

      

The show takes place in a fictional town called Hawkins, Indiana, during the early 1980s. It starts out with the disappearance of a young boy named Will Byers (Noah Schnapp). His mother (Winona Ryder), brother (Charlie Heaton), and friends all investigate on their own, and they find the dark secrets of their quiet, suburban town. Will’s friends encounter a strange girl (Millie Bobby Brown) during an investigation in the woods and thus, there is more drama. Being a sci-fi show, Stranger Things does an amazing job of incorporating science to explain a lot of the unusual occurrences. For example, the show explains the alternate universe, the Upside Down, which is heavily inspired by the game, Dungeons and Dragons. The Upside Down isn’t inhabited by humans but by creatures like the Demogorgon and Mind Flayer, the main antagonists.       

The actors of the show display their extraordinary talent in Stranger Things. Noah Schnapp’s performance in season 2 really had my flesh crawl. I couldn’t help but feel bad for his character. Although Millie Bobby Brown’s character doesn’t have many lines, Brown does an amazing job of showing that she’s a strong character. There are many scenes where she proves herself to be independent and capable of taking care of herself. The adults do a superb job as well. You can almost feel the panic through the screen from Winona Ryder as she plays Joyce Byers. The eerie vibe really throws you off and you feel as though you’re somewhat connected to Hawkins. If your excitement doesn’t come from the thrill of horror, then you can always indulge on the drama. The show incorporates several love triangles from the different age groups and it’ll have you stuck between who you want the characters to be with.      

Being such a breathtaking series, Stranger Things won a variety of awards and nominations, including the Golden Globes, the MTVs, Emmys, and Teen Choice Awards. The effort of the crew really reflects on the show. You can see that the people working for the set had put in a lot of effort to make it as accurate as possible for the early 1980s era. According to WIRED, a monthly American magazine, Lynda Reid had to work with a budget of about $220,000 to purchase and make all the props. From the boombox to the chocolate pudding, you really get a fresh feel of the 80s vibes. The cameras, figurines, bikes, and calculator watches are some of the retro- looking props that pop up in the show.      

Stranger Things is definitely an amazing watch and you’d be missing out on jaw-dropping thriller if you didn’t give it a try. With the plot of the show being impressive, you won’t be disappointed. Stranger Things is sure to capture you in its ominous story and make you tempted to solve mysteries along with the characters.