Phineas and Ferba | Teen Ink

Phineas and Ferba

September 7, 2008
By Anonymous

“There’s 104 days of summer vacation and school comes along just to end it. So the annual problem with our generation is finding a good way to spend it…” That title sequence is how I discovered the animated Disney Channel series, “Phineas and Ferb.” On a typical summer day from 3:30-4pm you would find me indoors, all attention focused on this series. However, last spring when the show was first introduced to Disney Channel, my expectations were not high. Most new shows are thought up quickly, are over-exaggerated and are unoriginal. (i.e. “The Replacements”) However, “Phineas and Ferb” was exactly the opposite case.

In this series, two imaginative boys (Phineas and Ferb) are on summer vacation in the suburbs. The show circles around the ideas they have to entertain themselves day by day. Phineas, Ferb and neighborhood friends get themselves into countless situations that are nearly impossible realistically, but humorous nonetheless. Phineas does most of the dialogue in the show and Ferb is more of an “action man.” It is their remarkable actions that drive Candace off the wall.

Candace is the older sister of Phineas and Ferb. Mostly, she is either trying to get the attention of her crush, Jeremy, or trying to get the boys in trouble with their mother. She observes the acts of her brothers and alerts their mother almost immediately. Before Candace can prove her good intentions to her mother, the evidence of the boys activities usually vanishes entirely. The writers of “Phineas and Ferb” are creative and ironic towards how the evidence disappears in each episode. This makes Candace irritated, and the show comical.

However to me, the most amusing aspect of this series has got to be “Perry the Platypus.” Perry is a pet platypus the boys own that appears to be your average pet animal. Of course, this is simply not the case. Perry the Platypus is a secret agent that fights evil. He battles his nemesis “Dr. Doofenshmirtz” who owns “Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated.” Of all of the shows I have seen, none of them have such a creative twist as Perry in “Phineas and Ferb.”

The charming innocence of this show is something that I rarely see on television. The fact that it is not only appropriate, but funny as well, makes this show appealing to all ages. I can’t imagine anyone disliking it after watching a few episodes. “Phineas and Ferb” is a series that can bring out the kid in all of us. You can watch it and remember summers of the past, or take advantage of those still in your grasp. Whether you’re a fan of Disney Channel or not, “Phineas and Ferb” has something to offer you, if only for 30 minutes at a time.