Metallica's Past & History | Teen Ink

Metallica's Past & History

By Jeryt Norton BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
Jeryt Norton BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

If you are not a Metallica fan, do not like rock, hard rock, or metal music, or if you don’t like to read, this is not for you go read something shorter, or something that would interest you more!!

First on the 13th of September in 1961 Dave Mustaine (Guitar) was born, then came Cliff Burton (Bass) on the 10th of November in 1962, next came Kirk Hammett (Guitar) was born on the 18th of November in 1962, after Kirk was born Jason Newsted (Bass) was born on the 3rd of March in 1963, after that James Hetfield (Guitar / Vocals) was born on the 3rd of August in 1963, next Lars Ulrich (Drummer) was born on the 26th of December, and finally the young gun Robert Trujillo was born on the 23rd of October in 1964.

Next on the 1st of May in 198 James Hetfield, and Lars Ulrich met for the first time. Then Metallica formed on the 1st of October in 1981 with James Hetfield (Guitar / Vocals), Lars Ulrich (Drums), Brad Parker (Guitar), and Ron McGovney (Bass). Then Ron McGovney quit Metallica on the 28th of December in 1982. Then Metallica moved to San Francisco California on the 15th of February in 1983. Next Kirk Hammett gave Metallica looking to join the band on the 1st of April of 1983, and the result of that Dave was kicked out of Metallica, and Kirk was now the guitarist for Metallica. Then on the 25th of May in 1983 Megaforce released Metallica’s first album, Kill Em’ All.

After that tour, on the 14th of January in 1984 in Boston Massachusetts, the bands equipment was stolen, witch inspired James Hetfield to write the song “Fade to Black.” Then on the 7th of March in 1984 Megaforce released Metallica’s 2nd album, Ride The Lightning. Next on the 12th of September Metallica signs with Elektra. After that on the 19th of November Elektra re-released “Ride The Lightning.”

Then 3rd of March in 1985 Elektra releases Metallica’s 3rd album “Master Of Puppets.” Next on the 26th of July in 1986, James broke his wrist, so the show in Evansville Indiana was canceled. Next on the 27th of September in 1986, a bus accident on the route to Copenhagen kills Cliff Burton at age 24. After Cliff Burton’s death Jason Newsted joins Metallica to play Bass on the 28th of October in 1986.

After that on the 6th of September in 1986, their 5th album “…And Justice For All” is released. Next on 24th of August in 1987, their 4th album “Garage Days Re-Revised”, is released. Then on the 6th of December they start on the music video for “One” in Los Angeles, with Michael Salomon. Then on the 18th of January of 1988 Elektra re-releases “Kill Em’ All”, with bonus tracks “Am I Evil?” and “Blitzkrieg”. As a result of the music video for “One” it was released on MTV on the 22 of January in 1989 in the US. Next Metallica gets their first Grammy nomination on the 22nd of February in 1989, for “One”, but loses to “Jathro Tull” for “Crest.”

Then on the 21st of February in 1990 Metallica wins their first Grammy in the best metal performance category for “One.” After their first Grammy win, they win again on the 20th of February in 1991 for best metal performance category for “Stone Cold Crazy.” Next on the 3rd of July in 1991 they start on the Music Video for “Enter Sandman” at S.I.R. Studios. After that on the 30th of July in 1991 the music video for “Enter Sandman” is premiered on MTV. Next on the 5th of September in 1991 the “Black Album” is released.

Then on the 22nd of January in 1992, Metallica was nominated for favorite Heavy Metal / Hard Rock artist and Heavy Metal / Hard Rock album for the “Black Album.” Then on the 12th of May in 1992 Lars Ulrich, and Sash of Guns N’ Roses hold a press conference to announce Guns N’ Roses / Metallica / Faith no more tour. Next on the 25th of February in 1992 Radio City Music Hall, New York New York: Metallica performed “Enter Sandman” and wins their third Grammy in best Metal performance with vocal category for Metallica (The Black Album) and also nominated for best Rock song (songwriter) “Enter Sandman” After that on the 25th of February in 1992 the music video for “Nothing Else Matters” premiered on MTV. After that on the 8th of August in 1992 there was a Pyro accident during “Fade To Black” while on the Faith No More Tour, and James suffers second, and third degree burns. Next on the 9th of September in 1992 Metallica wins an award for best Hard Rock music video for “Enter Sandman”, also nominated for best Cinematography and best editing. Then on the 5th of October in 1992 the music video for “Wherever I May Roam” was premiered on MTV.

Next on the 21st of January in 1993 Metallica takes over a record store in Manhattan, New York and named it “Metallistore”. After the takeover on the 25th of January in 1993 Metallica performs “Wherever I May Roam” and wins for favorite Heavy Metal / Hard Rock artist. Then on the 23rd of November in 1993 the “Live S#*t: Binge & Purge” box set was released.

After that on the 10th of February in 1994 Metallica was nominated for favorite Heavy Metal / Hard Rock artist. Next on the 10th of February in 1996 Metallica was nominated for best metal performance for “For Whom The Bell Tolls”. Then On the 4th of May in 1996 they start the video shoot for “Until It Sleeps”. After that on the 23rd of May in 1996 the music video for “Until It Sleeps” was premiered on MTV. Then on the 4th of June in 1996 the album “Load” is released in North America. Next on the 4th of august in 1996, Metallica performs “Until It Sleeps” in New York, New York and wins for best Hard Rock video for “Until It Sleeps”. Then on the 14th of November in 1996, Metallica surprised the world with a live performance of “Last Caress / So What” (Scheduled to play “King Nothing”). All References to Metallica edited out of future broadcasting in Europe.

Next on the 7th of January in 1997 the music video for “King Nothing” is premiered on MTV. Then on the 27th of January in 1997 Metallica performs live in Los Angeles, California of “King Nothing” and win award for favorite Heavy Metal / Hard Rock artist. Next on the 21st – 22nd of October in 1997 they shoot the music video for “The Memory Remains” in Van Nuys, California. Then in the 4th of November in 1997 the music video for “The Memory Remains” premiered on MTV. After that on the 6th of December in 1997 Metallica performed “The Memory Remains” with “Marianne Faithful” and “Fuel”. Next on the 8th of December the performance of “The Unforgiven II” wins best Hard Rock artist. Then on the 12th of December in1997 Metallica starts the video shoot for “the Unforgiven II”.

Then on the 20th of January in 1998 the music video for “The Unforgiven II” premiers on MTV. Next on the 6th of May in 1998 Metallica starts the video shoot for “Fuel”. Then on the 14th of May in 1998 the music video for “Fuel” premiers on MTV. Then in the 14th of September in 1998 Metallic returned to the plant recording studios to record new cover songs for “Garage Inc.”. Next on the 23rd of September in 1998, Metallica was nominated for best Rock video “The Unforgiven II”. After that on the 23rd of October in 1998, Metallica starts the music video for “Turn The Page” at Raleigh Studios, Los Angeles, California. After that on the 28th of October in 1998 the music video for “Turn The Page” is premiered on MTV. Then on the 22nd of November in 1998 Metallica starts on the music video for “Whiskey In The Jar” in Brooklyn, New York.

After that on the 24th of February in 1999 Metallica won their fourth Grammy in best Metal performance for “Better Than You”, also nominated for best Hard Rock performance for “Fuel”. Next on the 7th of March in 1999 Metallica was inducted into the San Francisco Walk of Fame, San Francisco’s mayor Willie Brown, proclaims the day “Official Metallica Day” in San Francisco. Then on the 13th of March in 1999, Lars Ulrich earns a Bammie for outstanding drummer, and “ReLoad” wins a Bammie for best Hard Rock album of the year. After that on the 16th of March in1999, the music video for “Whiskey In The Jar” was premiered on MTV. Next on the same day Metallica is rewarded with a Diamond Award from the RIAA, for selling more than 10 million copies of the “Black Album”. Then on the 19th in 1999 of May Metallica had a press conference and announced the New Year’s Eve show with Ted Nugent. After that on the 21st and 22nd of April in 1999 Metallica performs a show in with the San Francisco Symphony, which becomes the album “S & M”. Then on the 15th of July in 1999, Metallica win for outstanding Hard Rock album “ReLoad” and Lars Ulrich was named Outstanding Drummer. ¬¬¬Next on the 18th of November in 1999 the music video for “No Leaf Clover” was premiered on MTV. After that on the 23rd of November in 1999 the album “S & M” is released. Next on the 8th of December in 1999 the Symphony version of “Until It Sleeps” was played at the top of MGM Grand hotel in Los Vegas with the New York City’s Orchestra of St. Luke’s conducted by Michael Kamen, also win two Billboard music awards for catalog artist of the year, and Catalog album of the year.

Then on the 23rd of February in 2000 Metallica wins a Grammy in the best Hard Rock song performance for “Whiskey In The Jar”. Then on the 8th of April in 2000 Lars wins another award for outstanding drummer. After that on the 9th of April in 2000 the soundtrack for “Mission Impossible II” was released which included the song “I Disappear” by Metallica. Next on the 20th of June in 2000 the DVD for “S & M” was released. Then on the 20th of August in 2000 Metallica was nominated for best international video for “I Disappear”. After that on the 23rd of September in 2000 Metallica’s “I Disappear” was nominated in five categories including best Rock video, best video from a film, best special effects, best editing, and for cinematography. Then on the 27th of October in 2000, Metallica wins for: Favorite Turn-It-Up-Loud CD (S & M), for mist talked about, internet hero (Lars), for favorite group, and for best fan website. After that on the 30th of November in 2000 Metallica performs “Fade To Black” at the “VH1 My Music Awards”, in LA, and wins for best spectacle, and for Gods of Thunder.

Next on the 17th of January in 2001 Jason Newsted left Metallica. Next on the 21st of February in 2001 Metallica (with only James, Kirk, and Lars) wins their sixth Grammy in the best Rock instrumental performance category for the “S & M” version of “The Call Of The Ktulu”. After that on the 7th of April in 2001 wins the artist contribution award at the ESPN action & music awards. Next on the 19th of July in 2001 James enters rehab causing the recording for the next album to pause. After that on the 3rd of December in 2001, Metallica announces that James exited rehab.

Then on the 14th of April in 2002 Metallica appears at the taping of MTV: ICON, a tribute to Aerosmith. After that on the 5th of February in 2003, Metallica announces summer sanitarium tour with Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Deftones, and Mudvayne. Then on the 24th of February in 2003 Robert Trujillo joins Metallica to take Jason Newsteds place and play bass. After that on the 30th of April in 2003 they take the video shoot for “St. Anger” at San Quentin state prison. Next on the 27th of May in 2003 the music video for “St. Anger” debuts. Then one the 5th of June in 2003 their first album in four years “St. Anger” is released worldwide. Then on the 15th of September they take the video shoot for “Frantic” in Montreal, Canada. After that on the 15th of August in 2003 the music video for “Frantic” is premiered on Metallica.com. After that on the 28th of August in 2003 Metallica is nominated for best Rock video for “St. Anger”, and performed a short medley of Lenny Kravitz’s “Are You Gonna Go My Way?” Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit”, Michael Jackson’s’ “Beat It”, then played their own song “Frantic”. Then on the 15th of October in 2003 Metallica had the video shoot for “The Unnamed Feeling” in LA. After that on the 16th of November Metallica was nominated for favorite alternative artist, and perform “St. Anger” at the American Music Awards. Then on the 3rd of December in 2003 the music video for “The Unnamed Feeling” premiers.

Next on the 8th of February 2004, Metallica wins their seventh Grammy award for best Metal performance for “St. Anger”. Then on the 15th of March in 2004 Metallica receives a governors award from the San Francisco chapter of the recording academy for creative excellence and outstanding achievement. After that on the 18th of May in 2004, Metallica wins the creative voice award by ASCAP for “significant career achievements are equally informed by their creative spirit and by their contributions to the role that a creator can play in their community.” Next on the 6th of June in 2004 Kirk Hammett wins an award for outstanding guitarist. Then on the 7th of July the music video for “Some Kind Of Monster” was premiered.

Then on the 25th of January in 2005 the “Some Kind Of Monster” DVD is released. After that on the 13th of February in 2005 Metallica is nominated for “Some Kind Of Monster” in the best Hard Rock performance category. Next on the 20th of September in 2005 Metallica record their voices for an episode of The Simpsons, which was aired May 2006.

Then on the 13th of March in 2006 Metallica inducted Black Sabbath into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Lars, and James gave the speeches, plus Metallica performed two of Black Sabbaths songs. (“Hole In The Sky” and “Iron Man”) After that on the 5th of December in 2006 “Metallica: The Videos” DVD was released, which is all the music videos by them from 1989 – 2004.

Next on the 22nd of May in 2008 the recording for Death Magnetic is finally done! Then on the 28th of June in 2008 Kirk’s wife gave birth to a baby boy named Vincenzo Kainalu Hammett. After that on the 31st of July in 2008 they hold the video shoot for “The Day That Never Comes” just outside of LA. Then on the 10th of August in 2008 Death Magnetic is finally completely done with recording, Mixing, and Mastering! Next on the 1st of September in 2008 the music video for “The Day That Never Comes” is debuted on Metallica.com. After that on the 12th of September in 2008 Metallica’s ninth album “Death Magnetic” is released worldwide. Then on the 21st of October in 2008 the World Magnetic tour kicks off in Glendale, Arizona. After that on the 3rd of December Metallica’s “The Day That Never Comes” receives four nominations including best Rock album, best recording package, best rock instrumental performance for “Suicide & Redemption”, and best metal performance for “My Apocalypse”. Then on the 7th of December, the music video for “All Nightmare Long” debuts on Metallica.com, Spores, and Zombies. OMG!!! Finally on the 8th of this February in 2009 Metallica wins 8th, and 9th Grammy for best recording package of “Death Magnetic”, and best metal performance for “My Apocalypse”. Also Rick Rubin won for producer of the year, which includes “Death Magnetic”.