Black Beauty | Teen Ink

Black Beauty

March 19, 2008
By Anonymous

Black Beauty
Black Beauty is a movie full of sadness and little happiness. The fates of horses, and the people who own and command them, are revealed as Black Beauty narrates the circle of his life. The movie was incredibly emotional. Black Beauty is told from the horse’s point of view and how it feels for a horse to move from one horse owner to another. Just the way Caroline used lighting and scenery speaks for itself. In the scenes of death the scenes are dark and dreary with rain coming down as well as sad and flowing music as an accompaniment. In the scenes of happiness and life there is sunshine and light music that makes the heart soar. The angles really were an advantage for Caroline and she used them well. The fire was amazing and completely blew me away; Caroline really knows how to use imagery. “Oh! If people knew what a comfort to horses a light hand is, and how it keeps a good mouth and a good temper...”
All of the characters are also played remarkably well and they had beautiful costumes. Sean Bean as farmer Grey, David Thewlis as Jerry Barker, and Andrew Knott as John Manly are the main characters.
Also, the plot was made well to. I found myself crying through almost the whole movie (those of you who have seen this know why). The genre of this movie is in England around the nineteenth century (1877) which really makes it all the more different and enthralling.
I have to say that I’d probably give this movie in the rating scale of 1 through 5, 1 being horrible and 5 being totally awesome, I’d give the movie a 3.5. If you are a person who likes thrill or horror or comedy, this movie is not for you. This movie is for an audience that likes sad movies that don’t have a satisfactory ending.