Super 8 | Teen Ink

Super 8

By Emily.L GOLD, Gilbert, Arizona
Emily.L GOLD, Gilbert, Arizona

"Sometimes, we just have to be happy with what people can offer us. Even if it's not what we want, at least it's something. " -Sarah Dessen

Lillian, Ohio is what people assume to be the average small town. It's 1979, and Joe Lamb (Joel Courtney) has recently lost his mother due to an accident at a local factory. While Joe's distant father (Kyle Chandler), a town deputy, wants to send Joe to camp, Joe decides to help his friend, Charles (Riley Griffiths), and four others finish their super 8 zombie movie with a new star, Alice Dainard (Elle Fanning).

The night the 13-year-olds drive to the train depot, Joe witnesses a car driving onto the tracks, forcing a train to crash into it. The aftermath is all but pretty, and strange white cubes litter the area. The six teens are instructed not to tell anybody about what they saw, unless they wanted to die with their families. Dogs and appliances start to go missing, and when people are missing too, they're not sure they can hold it in any longer.

"Super 8" is a thrilling sci-fi movie about family, friends, and the unknown. The acting was pulled off perfectly, even during the scenes where the characters acted in the movie. The bits of humor gave the movie a well-rounded effect, especially with fireworks-obsessed kid (Ryan Lee).

If you want the perfect movie to watch with pretty much anybody, or even alone, watch "Super 8."