Love and Basketball | Teen Ink

Love and Basketball

December 18, 2007
By Anonymous

Love and Basketball


“It’s a trip you know, when you’re a kid you see the life you want and it never crosses your mind that it’s not going to turn out that way.” This is a quote from the heartfelt movie called Love and Basketball. This movie is the story of two basketball players who have to overcome many obstacles- -love, life, and basketball.

This movie produced by Forty acres and a Mule Film works, was released in the year 2000, and may I say was a great way to start off the millennium! This dramatic romance includes remarkable performances from two actors who both appeared in the movie “The Best Man”, Sanaa Lathan and Omar Epps. This movie explains how Monica (Lathan) and “Q” (Epps) met at an early age and grew to love each other through basketball, both wanting to play in the NBA. It includes their breakup and how a significant basketball game is played by the two of them to determine if they were meant to be together, resulting in a very shocking ending.

I think the quality of this film is superb and the workman ship of the actors is exemplary. They displayed impeccable acting skills and it was as if they really connected with their characters. I feel that the setting, dialogue, and all the factors of the movie assist in capturing African American culture in the 80’s and 90’s. I would recommend this movie to anyone who would like to see a quality film and would like to experience every emotion such as happiness, laughter, and sadness just by watching it!