Beowulf | Teen Ink

Beowulf

November 29, 2007
By Anonymous

In my opinion, the movie, Beowulf, was terrible. It had a terrible plot, along with some pretty sub par acting.

The movie takes place in a Danish kingdom ruled by King Hrothgar and his wife Queen Whealthow. The kingdom is having a feast to celebrate the opening of their new party hall. There are endless drinks going around and everybody is having fun and getting rowdy. Suddenly, a large, monstrous creature, which the townspeople refer to as Grendel attacks them. He has huge misshapen arms and flesh that can endure most weapons. Grendel rips apart the feast and destroys many people.

King Hrothgar says that he is willing to pay anything to get rid of Grendel. Beowulf and some of his bravest friends pledge to kill the beast in return for a golden grail in the shape of a dragon. Beowulf eventually kills Grendel and is now off to hunt his mother. Grendel’s mother, played by Angelina Jolie, is nearly invincible. Beowulf makes a deal with her, giving her the grail in exchange for not harming the town anymore. Beowulf returns and tells the town that he killed the mother and lost the grail in the fight. King Hrothgar says that when he dies, Beowulf will become king. Then, unexpectingly, King Hrothgar commits suicide by jumping off his castle. After many years of his reign, Beowulf kills a dragon and basically that’s how the movie ends. It is sort of a cheesy, random ending.

In my opinion the plot of this movie was not well thought out and it did not really end well. On the other hand, the movie also has a 3-D edition which sounds cool because the movie is mostly fighting. On the whole, I think that the movie Beowulf was awful. It was a waste of my money and my Friday night. I recommend that if you see this movie, you see it for the 3-D effects, and not for a great plot or storyline.