Why Being a Secret Soldier is Not Always a Good Idea | Teen Ink

Why Being a Secret Soldier is Not Always a Good Idea

By rmoroz24 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
rmoroz24 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

The film, 13 Hours (2016), presents the story of a secret CIA base in Benghazi, Libya, where soldiers try to protect citizens.  The struggle of being a secret soldier provides a good look at how fighting a war is like. The film shows a significant evaluation on how even though the U.S. military is very well trained, it is very hard to fight if you are outnumbered and surrounded.  It also has a great emotional connection with the viewer.  The movie shows heartbreaking deaths that happen to families and friends which is an example of the real world.  13 hours is a movie that portrays realistic examples of the struggle in war and makes connections with the audience like no other.  

As a movie based on a true story, it shows the condition of a third world country.  In these countries, there could be a lot of violence because of the lack of authority or weak government.  Because of this, U.S. soldiers have to set up and police the area.   Driving through a town in Benghazi is very dangerous for the soldiers because anybody can be plotting an attack. A person seemingly innocent buying some fruits can take out a weapon and hurt someone.  This shows how soldiers need to be careful at all times so that they and innocent civilians are kept safe.  In the movie, Islamic militants try to attack the U.S. Ambassador.  The U.S. The Ambassador was visiting so that he could see whether the secret base should stay or if it was too risky.  While the Ambassador was visiting, he stayed at a secret safe house guarded by no more than six soldiers.  This is because the main plan for the soldiers was to police the cities, but since the Ambassador was visiting, they had to pull some men out to protect him.  The lack of proper protection allowed Islamic Militants to overwhelm the soldiers and kill the Ambassador.  Strong protection is a must for important people, especially in a foreign country.  The impact the movie makes on the watcher is seen when soldiers face opposition as a result of lacking protection and the choice of deploying in a dangerous country.  

The film also portrays an emotional connection with the audience.  According to the actors, the movie was actually shot with real explosions and gunfire.  These real life scenes are able to exhibit feelings of real danger.  Towards the end of the movie, the entire military base is being attacked.  It was all hands on deck to be able to survive all of the attacks, and the fear of getting killed is felt through the actors in the movie.  As air missiles are being dropped on the base, soldiers rush to be able to help the wounded, which comes before the unfortunate death of a few CIA agents.  Your emotions connect to a whole other level during and after the attack, making your heart beat faster and your eyes locked on the story.  

13 Hours, the Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, shows realistic examples of the struggle in war and an emotional connection with the audience.  The visual effects such as when the soldiers are fighting to when fires and explosions erupt have no flaws.  The emotional connections like when the Ambassador or other main characters in the play are attacked and killed keep you on the edge of your seat. 10 out of 10, this movie is definitely a must watch.  13 hours gives you the visual of how most people fight in war and the heroism of all of the soldiers that do.