Alanna: The First Adventure | Teen Ink

Alanna: The First Adventure

“From now on I'm Alan of Trebond, the younger twin. I'll be a knight.” Tamora Pierce's fantasy novel Alanna: The First Adventure is about Alanna of Trebond, a young girl who wants to become a knight. But in the realm of Tortall, noble girls go to the convent where they learn how to be ladies. Alanna dreads going to the convent. “ ‘Sit still Alanna. Shoulders back, Alanna.' As if that's all I can do with myself!” Her twin brother, Thom, is interested in the magical arts rather than the fighting. They both are strong in the Gift, or magic, but where Alanna fears her magic, Thom loves his. Unknown to all but their manservant and the village healer, the two switch places, and Alanna heads to the capital as a boy while Thom travels to the convent to be taught magic there until he's older. Alanna starts her training as a page and discovers that it's harder than she expected.
This is one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors. Tamora Pierce's writing is full of humor and wit, and her plot flows beautifully with great detail. She describes the life of a girl masquerading as a boy with such clarity, it's as if you're in the story. You will experience Alanna's struggles and successes as she battles her way through life, showing courage and bravery time and time again. Teens of all ages will love this book, and even though it's geared toward girls, boys will like it, too.