Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me by Howie Mandel | Teen Ink

Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me by Howie Mandel MAG

By Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland

Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me is Howie Mandel's enlightening, humorous, and at times bland narrative of his life as a comedian and his struggles with his mental and physical health.

It isn't a secret that the Canadian-born entertainer struggles with obsessive-compulsive disorder. In Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me he recounts the origin of the disorder and describes the shocking reality of life with OCD and adult ADHD.

While the beginning of this book captured my attention, the rest wasn't as compelling. It has little structure, alternating randomly between lighthearted stories of Mandel's life and ­stories of intense personal problems. Disappointingly, the humor is often painfully candid, tasteless, and vulgar, ­dealing primarily with bodily functions, practical jokes, ­public humiliation, and attention-seeking stunts that left me uncomfortable. Consequently, it is hard to feel a connection with Mandel; I was put off by his juvenile attitude.

His struggle with OCD is fascinating; his crude jokes and stories are not. As a piece of writing, this book is a wreck, and Mandel only manages to partially save it with humor.