Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell | Teen Ink

Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

December 26, 2011
By AlaskaFrost GOLD, Acushnet, Massachusetts
AlaskaFrost GOLD, Acushnet, Massachusetts
17 articles 7 photos 131 comments

Beautiful sixteen-year-old Elaine of Ascolat is the only girl growing up in Arthur's army base. She spends her days mending the soldiers' clothing and armor and healing their wounds while enjoying being free and running through the meadows and swimming in the river with Lancelot. As a girl on the brink of womanhood, Elaine must work out her feelings of love, her sparrow, for her childhood friend - her hero - on her own. When a woman named Gwynivere comes to the camp, Elaine is thrilled to finally have someone she can talk to as a girl. However, Gwynivere, haughty and restrained, is repulsed by Elaine's wild and free-spirited nature. When Lancelot falls deeply in love with Gwynivere, who proves to be cold and manipulative, feelings of jealousy and anger begin to surge in Elaine. When these two women find themselves in a dangerous situation, they must join forces to save their men - and the future kingdom of Camelot.

This is one of the most unique books I have ever read. Sandell bases Elaine off the legendary woman in Tennyson's poem, "The Lady of Shalott," giving the character a new story and a different role in Arthurian legend. Another thing that struck me was the style of writing. The novel's lyrical and melodic verse captures the beauty of nature and freedom and provides powerful imagery that captivates the readers and draws them into the story. In the end, Elaine finds in herself the bravery and courage she never knew she had, discovers the true meaning of love, and finally allows her sparrow - herself - to fly free and sing its beautiful song.