Fresh off the boat | Teen Ink

Fresh off the boat

Fresh off the boat
By: Melissa De La Cruz

“Do you like it?” Mom asked looking at me so hopefully I thought I might cry. I didn't like it. I hated it. It looked and felt cheap and tacky. But I didn't want to disappoint my mom. She had closed the cafeteria early just so we could get to the sale in time. She just wanted me to be happy and I knew it would make her happy if I lied.”
Fresh off the Boat is a story about a 14 year old girl named Vicenza who lives in present day San Francisco, CA. She originated from Manila in the Philippines where she had money, friends, and family. When her dad's factory closes down they start to lose money and they begin to search for a new life in America. But life isn't exactly they had in mind.

Vicenza seems lost; she doesn't have any friends at Grosvernor High and she feels so out of place. She finds it hard to adjust to the American lifestyle. But everything changes when she meets a French girl named Isobel who helps Vicenza crack her shell and become part of the group that she has been longing for. Fresh off the Boat is an interesting story of overcoming obstacles and fitting in. De La Cruz gave lots of descriptive words and details. She takes you into the life of Vicenza and shows you what she thinks. A lot of girls can be inspired by this book.

De La Cruz's book has a lot in common with Jerry Spinelli's book Stargirl because both Vicenza and Stargirl started off with no friends, but then everyone got to see how great they really are. However Stargirl is very expressive and loud while Vicenza is quiet and calm. Fresh off the Boat is a great story for teenagers; De La Cruz's novel sinks you into a young teenager's life and her struggles. The words aren't very difficult to read and the pages seem to fly by. Fans of the novels that show a teen's life won't want to put this book down!