No More Dead Dogs by Gordan Korman | Teen Ink

No More Dead Dogs by Gordan Korman

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

The book No More Dead Dogs, by Gordan Korman, is a hilarious story of a young football player named Wallace Wallace who can't seem to tell a lie.

Wallace Wallace-that's his first and last name-is your typical middle school football player, who only tells the truth.So when his English teacher gives him the assignment to write about Mr. Fogleman's favorite book, Old Shep, My Pal, Wallace has a problem pleasing his teacher. He just so happened to absolutely HATE the book, and it really showed with his dry sense of humor. Mr. Fogleman gives him detention until he writes a “decent report.” Because this book could be the father of irony, Wallace has to serve his detention with the drama club-director: much hated teacher-people the star athlete would NEVER be caught dead with. But the most ironic part is that the play is Old Shep, My Pal. And he can't go back to football practice until he writes a report the director likes! How unfair!

A very witty cast of characters, from the football team and Coach Wrigley to the drama club and Mr. Fogleman, all dying to get Wallace out of the stuffy auditoruim and back onto the bench where most of his season is spent. Except his five seconds of fame, which people talk about for years after.

But eventually, Wallace stops fighting the man and makes small suggestions to modernize the production so people might actually come. Then WHAM! the play ends up as a rough'n'tough motorcycle chase after a dog, complete with the Dead Mangoes. Mr. Fogleman and the football team are furious over his decision, but the drama club, all except for Nathaniel and Rachel, love it. But, when the play is twisted and turned so much it's just about a different plot, someone sabotages it, and everyone points the finger at yours truly.

This funny story is deffinately one for the taking. From it's name to the very true statement: “why does the dog always have to die?” The halarious plot goes from a typical football field bench to a drama production to the sabotage of said production. Keeping you on your toes, you will laugh out loud when Feather says, “Great! It's just the icing on the gravy!”

this article was awesome! it really helped me,it was like ive read the book