Author Review on Jodi Picoult | Teen Ink

Author Review on Jodi Picoult

By Shminkanator5000 SILVER, Rochester, New York
Shminkanator5000 SILVER, Rochester, New York

"the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

During the course of my freshman year of high school, I became utterly in love with novels by Jodi Picoult. My English teacher often kept a stack of books on the chalkboard in the front of the class for people to sign out and read. It's going to sound corny, but I remember the day that she lent me Nineteen Minutes. I started reading it and absolutely could not stop! From the first paragraph, I was hooked!

"In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn; color your hair; watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes, you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist; you can fold laundry for a family of five.
In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world; or you can just jump off it."

Immediatly I was hooked. I finished Nineteen Minutes in a matter of a day and half. I craved more and begged my Mom to take me to the library where I then signed out every Jodi Picoult book they had in stock, blew off my homework assignments (something I later regretted) and read through the night.

I am proud to say that I have read every Jodi Picoult novel on the shelves. What I absolutely love about these books is that you learn everything about the characters, and what you think happened. You're inside their mind and just when you start to believe you're unlocked the secret to the mystery behind the entire novel, She twists the tale completely 360 degrees, and you're left astonished!

I know it's weird to do an "author review" but I felt like it had to be done. Many of her books have been made into movies like the most famous, "My Sisters Keeper" which, in my opinion was butchered by the movie. Her other books like The Pact, Change of Heart, Mercy, Second Glance, Songs of the Humpback Whale, and Handle with Care will always be amoung my favorite novels.

As a writer, I am truly inspired by Jodi Picoults writing. I encourage everyone to read at LEAST one of her novels, you won't be disappointed.

da1sygirl SILVER, Delmar, New York

"Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can do anything." -Foka Gomez

Jodi Picoult is AMAZING! Great article, and well-written!

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

I've read them all and they're OK, I guess.