The Rogues by Jane Yolen and Robert J. Harris | Teen Ink

The Rogues by Jane Yolen and Robert J. Harris

The Rogues is an action- packed adventure straight from the time of the Highland Clearances, when the rightful owners of the lands of Scotlandare ousted and their land is used as grazing fields. Though most leave peacefully, some of the clansmen refuse to be parted from the land of their forefathers and remain behind to fight the invaders.
The theme "a cause is not lost until their is no one to fight for it" is featured prominently in this book, shown in the actions of the main characters and their words. In the hot- blooded clans of Scotland, the fight for such "lost causes" is a huge part of their world. Even when all seems lost, these brave men fight and never give up.
This book was extremely well written and will easily draw any reader in within the first few pages. Despite a slightly immature main character, Yolen and Harris weave a tale with suprising twists and turns that delight and excite old and young readers alike.
I most definitely recommend this book to anyone who is secretly a rebel at heart and loves reading about tales of bravery and refusal to give up on even the most difficult causes. I felt transported to the Highland hills after reading the first page, and I believe you will too.