Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte | Teen Ink

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

By bookcrazy PLATINUM, Rocky Hill, Connecticut
bookcrazy PLATINUM, Rocky Hill, Connecticut

I started reading Wuthering Heights with the impression that it was going to be dragged out and boring. This of course is the wrong attitude before beginning a book.

As the story progressed, however, I had to continue reading to know what would happen next. Bronte did an excellent job in developing her characters, especially Heathcliff. I liked how the plot spans over a lifetime, and how each of the characters changes under certain circumstances. I especially liked the second half of the book. I was afraid that I wouldn't like how the story would end, but the bittersweet ending was simply perfect.

The only flaws I can think of at the moment are the following:

-- Bronte names the children after the parents. So, it gets confusing and becomes hard to get the family tree straight with all the Catherine's and Linton's. There are quite a lot of other names to choose from.

-- I didn't like how the story was told by Ellen Dean. It just seems unrealistic that she was in the corner of every room while every significant or personal event in the story unfolded. Also, she isn't very reliable, and there isn't much evidence that what she narrated was correct.

-- This isn't really a flaw, but Joseph's strong accent was very hard to follow even by the end of the book. I simply skipped over the parts where he talked. He is a minor character, only a servant, so I don't think I missed too much.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and I'm glad I read it, and I might even read it a second time.