The Lovely Bones | Teen Ink

The Lovely Bones MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

"So this is whatheaven is like. It comes bottled in a blue drink of a book and reads like a fairytale. Author Alice Sebold will be your guide," said Entertainment Weekly'sKaren Valby of The Lovely Bones. I agree entirely. This coming-of-age noveldepicts the afterlife of a murdered rape victim. Surprisingly suspenseful,uplifting and unusual, The Lovely Bones is not your average story.

Already in heaven, 14-year-old Susie Salmon attempts anything andeverything to return to her prior life. But, all she can do is observe, like onewatching a play, while her family falls apart in her absence.

Realityfinally sinks in for Susie's family and loved ones. It's been months with noevidence that she's still alive or that she'll ever return. All her family can dois begin the difficult process of accepting she may be gone forever. Susiewatches her family try to piece together their lives.

First-time novelistAlice Sebold hits a home run because of the connection every reader can make tocrime, love, family, friends, remembrance or healing. Its plot also made merealize you must be careful whom you trust, even if they only live a house away."So it was that, from heaven, I watched my father build a tent with the manwho'd killed me," Susie laments.

Susie's view of heaven, in whichanything she thinks of becomes reality, makes me wonder. I believe God welcomesus with open arms, so this idea contradicts my belief, but it made me wonder ifeach person's afterlife is different.

So much happens around us that weforget to appreciate life. Susie represents just one child of millions who havebeen taken from their families. Take the time to hear her story.

Theunique point of view of a dead teenager makes it hard to forget the charactersand their journey. The outcome will make you continue to think about Susie'sstory and the millions of other missing children. And ponder Susie's words,"The dead truly talk to us, that in the air between the living, spirits boband weave and laugh with us. They are the oxygen we breathe."

i love this !