The Little Prince | Teen Ink

The Little Prince

By MartaByrtus BRONZE, Ostrava, Other
MartaByrtus BRONZE, Ostrava, Other

The Little Prince is a fabulous philosophical tale that in 1943 made the French writer Antoine de Saint-Exupery famous throughout the world.

The guide of the book is a pilot (the author of the book himself) who crashes in the Sahara desert and tries to repair his plane. Suddenly, the Little Prince appears and asks him to draw a lamb for him. Gradually, with completely random words, the Little Prince satisfies the airman's curiosity. The pilot thus learns that his little friend comes from a planet barely bigger than a house he left because he doubted his love for the rose he devoted all his care to. On his way he meets other planets and warped human characters on them. Finally, the Little Prince visits Earth, where he meets a wise fox, who makes him understand the meaning of friendship and the specialness of his rose.

What I really like about the book is that the author has put himself in the story as one of the characters. Not to draw attention to himself, but to show the world through a child's eyes, and he succeeded. Meeting the young prince is like meeting the inner child that each of us has inside. What's more, the book is very readable and the reader will learn many things from it. For example, that even an ordinary thing becomes unique for us when we devote all our time and care to it. Another nice and important thing is that the young prince shows that people, especially adults, will never really understand anything, because they look in vain for logic and something complicated in everything.

On the other hand, the only problem is the age limit for reading the book. I think that the book should not be considered as a compulsory reading and should be removed from it. It is true that a children can find a fairy tale in a story, but they are certainly not able to answer the question of what the real message is.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the book. It is a wonderful book for every poetic soul across generations. However, for this work, the art of reading between the lines is necessary, because deep thoughts are hidden behind the mask of fairy tales.

Eusebius1234 BRONZE, Ostrava, Other
When I read this book, I realy liked it. I think everybody should read The Little Prince, becouse it is full of deep filosofical statements. Thank you Martina for commemoration of this masterpiece. I hope I will read it one more again.

valeriebor BRONZE, Hlučín, Other
Personally, i do not like The Little Prince, but i like your rewiew. I can not agree with everything, but after that i will mayby give this book a chance. :D