The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky | Teen Ink

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

What would you do if you started out the first days of high school with no friends? In the book The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, that is how Charlie, the main character feels. In 8th grade, his best friend Michael had killed himself and no one seems to know the reason why; his Aunt, who lived with him, also passed away that same year (on his birthday, while going out to get presents). When he gets into high school, he realizes it isn't so bad when he meets a group of people he becomes friends with, and one of his teachers, Bill. The only problem with his new friends is that most of them are graduating and going into college next year. This book is mainly about high school and losing family and friends, and learning to deal with it.

I really liked this book because It keeps you guessing what is going to happen next to all the characters. The genre would probably be categorized under Teen because it's mainly about teen issues/school/making friends. I like the author's style because it is short and to the point, not long and exaggerating everything out. The whole book is written in letter form from Charlie to an anonymous person, and I think that also makes it more interesting to read; especially since the person he is writing to is anonymous.

Even though there are a lot of different things the author could've done with the book (like telling more about what happened to Charlie's friends after high school) I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a well-written, fast-paced book.