Fahrenheit 451 Book Review: Burning our Boredom | Teen Ink

Fahrenheit 451 Book Review: Burning our Boredom

By Chreem BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Chreem BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Imagine a world where knowledge, where books, are banned. Where everything is condensed down into three minutes or less, where TV walls suck you away from life. Is it hard to imagine, or easy? Well, either answer you give, that’s still the reality in Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451. Fire departments burn books and houses instead of putting out fires in a distant post-war future, and Guy Montag, a fireman, is caught in the middle of it, living his life until a mysterious young girl introduces him to the idea that things aren’t what they seem, and that there’s a lot more beyond conforming to society. Follow Montag through his adventures, struggles, and everything in between in Fahrenheit 451.

This book is an extraordinary and classic piece of literature, with loads of tension, action, and discovery packed inside of it. I personally would recommend this book to anyone capable of understanding dystopian genres and what they mean, as Fahrenheit 451 does a great, deep dive into the dystopian genre compared to other works. While some parts may get boring or the sentences run on, and one dialogue lasts for a page or two, that can be overlooked more or less easily for the descriptions and action will be sure to keep you in. I, personally, would give this a 9/10 rating. Fahrenheit 451 is a magnificent piece of work that details a deranged society, and it’s an excellent read.