The Fault in Our Stars Book Review | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars Book Review

By Barry GOLD, Ashburnham, Massachusetts
Barry GOLD, Ashburnham, Massachusetts

“To be awake is to be alive”

After school, the first thing I would like to do is to take out The Fault in Our Stars from my bag and sit in the library. This novel grabs my attention because it contains the three significant components in people’s lives, family, friends, and love, especially the true love part. The author, John Green, wrote this young adult fiction in 2012, and he set his story is set in Indianapolis at the present time.

The book tells a moving and beautiful love story between two teenage cancer patients, Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters. Hazel, the narrator, had cancer before, but she “magically” survived. Now she has a bad lung and has to carry an oxygen tank everywhere. She does not have much hope for the world. In contrast, Gus is an optimistic boy who is afraid of oblivion and gradually changes Hazel’s life and personality. He has lost one leg to cancer. Although he had been a basketball player, he cannot pursue his dream anymore.

Hazel and Gus first meet in a support group for kids with cancer. They share their favorite books with each other, and as time passes, they contact each other more often. In order to accomplish Hazel’s dream of asking her favorite author Peter Van Houten about the ending of his book, Gus goes to Amsterdam with her, which begins their journey of love. However, when they admit to each other that they are in love, Gus has to leave unexpectedly. At that time, Hazel is overwhelmed with sorrow. The only thing that Gus leaves behind is a letter.

My favorite character is Augustus. He would sacrifice everything for love without asking for anything in return because he loves Hazel, so he gives her all he has. Gus spends a lot of time reading her favorite book, helps her with the trip to Amsterdam, and leaves her with the best memories. He is a great man when he is in love with Hazel because he is absolutely selfless.
If I had the chance, I would like to help Hazel accomplish her dream of finding the answers to her questions about her favorite book. Her visit to the author Peter Van Houten’s house is my least favorite part of the novel. He is rude to Hazel and Gus when they first visit him. He not only avoids answering Hazel’s questions, but he also insults them with mean words. His behavior is unacceptable because his words are too cruel and they destroy Hazel’s dream. At the end of the novel, although Peter Van Houten tries his best to explain his own book, Hazel is too angry to listen. She still doesn’t get her answers in the end. It was difficult to read how Van Houten negatively affected Hazel’s and Augustus’ romance.

“The fault” in the title means the love that Gus and Hazel share. They fall for each other, but eventually, their separation makes both of them hurt, which may mean that their first meeting in the support group is a fault or the miracle that keeps Hazel alive is a fault at the readers’ point of view. “The stars” are among the most beautiful things in the world, and they represent their love and destiny. At the end of Gus’s letter, he writes,” You don’t choose if you get hurt in this world, but you do have some say in who hurts you” (313). Gus and Hazel do not mind that they hurt physically or mentally, because they value their love. They have chosen to love each other themselves; therefore, they do not regret the hurt they will experience.

Before Gus’s leaves, Hazel tells him, “I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful” (260). It does not matter how long their love lasts. It is all about the unforgettable memories that they share. At the end of the book, we can realize that Gus is not afraid of being forgotten by the world, but being forgotten by Hazel, the love of his life.

After reading The Fault in Our Stars, I learned that the power of love is capable of changing everything. It is the reason why Gus and Hazel keep fighting cancer and why Peter Van Houten changes his attitude. Maybe for most people it is a tragedy. However, I would argue that it is not completely tragic because all of the characters make positive changes in their lives.

I strongly recommend The Fault in Our Stars to high school students. If people are like me, reading this novel will make them value people around them more, to respect family members, to help friends and, to find someone that they love. It is also easy to understand, which makes it a suitable choice for English language learners. Why not spend some time reading this book and learn the power of love instead of watching TV alone and ignoring everyone else?