Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight

April 16, 2008
By Anonymous

Twilight is an exciting young adult book written by Stephenie Meyer. It was published on October 5, 2005. It is the first book of the Twilight series. The whole Twilight series will keep you wanting to read more, but it all starts out with Twilight.

Bella Swan moves from Phoenix to rainy Forks, Washington to live with her dad. Her mother Renee and her stepfather Phil a “minor league” baseball player spend a great amount of time traveling, leaving no time for Bella. Going to a new school was not too hard for Bella; she made a lot of friends quickly and caught the attention of many popular boys.

When sitting next to Edward Cullen the first day of school, she notices him giving her horribly mean glares, which leads Bella to think he dislikes her. Soon enough, his attitude towards her begins to change. He mysteriously saves Bella from being run over by a van in the school parking lot. Bella confronts him afterwards about the strangeness of the situation, but he refuses to talk to her about it. As time passes, Bella and Edward are repeatedly attracted to one another, even though Edward desperately tries to stay away in order to keep her out of the danger that he will likely put her in.

Bella eventually realizes Edward's secret, him and his perfect family are “vegetarian” vampires. Edward's whole family drinks animal blood instead of human blood. Despite everything she has found out, Edward and Bella fall madly in love. Throughout the book Edward and Bella face some dangerous adventures, which always result in Edward saving Bella. Towards the end of the book Bella ends up in a fatal accident but recovers eventually. While recovering Bella and Edward attend prom together and Bella desperately begs him to transform her into a vampire. The decision made by Edward is not revealed at the end of the book.

Overall this book made me never stop reading. Every page grabbed my attention, and took my imagination to places I've never dreamed of. The plot is the thing that led me to the book in the start. Boy meets girl, girl likes boy, and boy turns out to be a vampire. The characters are so vivid, so intense, that you feel like if you look up from the pages Bella or Edward or Alice is going to be staring at you. The book was so much more than I expected; the love feels so real, and at its heart, it's more a love story between two beings than anything else. This book is the perfect example of a young adult book, and is even a good adult novel. Stephenie Meyer has sold over 50 million copies of Twilight, and many of its sequels New Moon, and Eclipse. Meyer has already started working on the additional sequels, Breaking Dawn, and Midnight Sun.

Twilight has been honored many awards, some including:
-
A New York Time's Editor's Choice
-
A Publisher's Weekly Best Book of The Year
-
An Amazon.com “Best Book of the Decade…So Far”
-
A Teen People “Hot List” pick
-
And the #5 New York Times Best Seller List
Having won so many awards, Twilight is currently being turned into a motion picture. Actors have already been chosen for the main characters and the movie has been in the filming process since February 2008. Hopefully readers won't be intimidated by the size of the book, and read it before seeing the movie. Movies are usually slightly different from the book, and extremely different from one's imagination. Let the novel Twilight; inspire your imagination as it did mine.