Making A Change | Teen Ink

Making A Change

March 18, 2014
By liveloveskateee BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
liveloveskateee BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Community service. Some say it takes away individuality and personal liberty while others feel it creates a sense of common identity among national citizens. Many high schools have now created programs that require teenagers to take part in. But, what pushes other generations to do their part? There are no signs advertising programs, no sign up sheets in public places. If citizens aren’t urged to participate, chances are community service might never cross their mind. So I pose a question: How would society benefit from having a community service requirement across the nation?

“In the most positive light, such service teaches children and teenagers to look beyond themselves and understand the role they can play in their community and country” (Alina Tugend, NYT). Those who are pro-service feel that teenagers and children are able to grow into mature and responsible adults if they have participated before. Some 64.5 million Americans volunteered in some way during the year of 2012 according to the Corporation of National and Community Service. Seems like a lot, huh? But compared to the total population, only about 20% of US citizens actually participate in community service. Only 19% of these people participate on a regular basis, according to civicyouth.org.

In my eyes, these statistics are much too low. Civic duties, such as tending for the sick, providing meals for the hungry, and cleaning up the environment are all essential parts of life and could make the difference between someone’s life and death. All of these services must be done by someone, so why not have everyone step up and do their part? America is supposed to provide a social support and is supposed to give every person an opportunity to be free. If nobody steps up to the plate, these dreams will not be able to be provided to the ill, homeless, disabled, and starving.

Step back for a moment and think about living with nothing; no food, water, shelter, clean environment, family and so on. Instead of focusing on ourselves, we need to open up our help and make the change in this world, starting with our own community. We need to advertise, gather people, and spread the word about how one person can make a change by lending a hand to their community.

If people are not urged to make a difference, they are likely not to do it. Creating a requirement will help people to see the benefits of service to themselves and those around them. Community service plays a huge role in my life, as it should in everyone elses. So, I urge citizens to get up today and be the difference in something they care about in their community.

http://www.volunteeringinamerica.gov/
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/31/your-money/31shortcuts.html?pagewanted=all
http://constitutioncenter.org/media/files/national-service-thw.pdf
http://www.civicyouth.org/quick-facts/volunteeringcommunity-service/