Aching Implications | Teen Ink

Aching Implications

By Scott Reel GOLD, Naperville, Illinois
Scott Reel GOLD, Naperville, Illinois

To this earth, the destruction has become irreversible. Not due to a hole too deep to climb out of, but do to the attitude that there is no hole. Day to day the millions of people that walk this earth are mostly blind. We are focused only on simplicity. The simple way to do something is the best way. As a globe we are cutting corners that weren’t meant to be cut. Sometimes the long way can teach you something about the right way and about yourself. As a majority we talk of all the problems that were left behind in history, somehow seeing that we have resolved these catastrophes, but are realistically repeating them.
The wars continue, the bombs still fall on innocent people due to a cause that many are uninformed about or don’t agree with. Mothers still lose their sons to a cause they feel unworthy of their loved one’s life. Terrorism and slavery have not been abolished and are not even hidden to the world, but it goes unseen. There is more slavery today than there has ever been. There is more ignorance, disrespect and carelessness than ever before. Many go home starving or lost. Loss of love, direction, education, care and the list continues. It’s almost ironic the comparison of the food crisis in Africa and the obesity in America, almost as if we are rubbing our protruding bellies it in their faces; screaming how much better we are and how much harder we have worked and deserve the so called success that we have here. But really they got the short end of the stick. Anyone of us could have been born in Africa but were fortunate enough to be blessed. We are not successful; we have failed our brothers and sisters across the planet and have only succeeded ourselves. We are deserving of nothing. Those starving children go unheard, uneducated, and uncared for; but the world does not care.
We all have the ability to change our circumstances and the circumstances of the less fortunate, but we choose to follow the beaten path of the majority; selfishness. It was created many years ago and it has not only been mirrored but has grown into a highway of Mother Nature’s forest. The majority fears to stray away from the safety of their simple things. There warm beds at night, the fast food palaces a mile away, soccer practice, office cubical, a sixty percent divorce rate and death that with time is forgotten. We text and we email, we gossip and we swear. Even the revolutionary thinkers get caught up in this mess until they are at least able to begin their own revolution. Money is just paper, love these days is fake, food-too abundant in our bellies, and education is lacking significance. We are slowly becoming the stupidest and fattest nation, but yet we are the nation with the biggest say; and we are globally saying hey we care more about ourselves than any of you because we are better.
Some disagree with these statements and some say, “hey dude it’s really not that bad.” Then I ask what is it? If this isn’t bad, then when in the hell is it going to get bad? I see skyscrapers popping up like dandelions, I see a new type of diabetes due to obese children, I see ten billion dollars a month spent on a war that no one can define our true mission, I see real world issues that we skip by, I see money signs in everyone’s eyes just so they can be “happy”, I see six out of every ten kids getting ruined cause their families are too weak to be held together and they are forced to deal with it. I see discrimination, not through language, but by an inner city family segregated from normality and clans of minorities still clinging together due to a dismantled society. I see constitutions followed closer than bibles or other religious teachings. The word equal has become unable to be executed in most countries around the world. I see once beautiful species, dying once again through carelessness.
When it’s all said and done I believe we all know right from wrong and the differences we are able to make, but then again every day I get proven just how blind we can be. It took me until I was in poverty in a nearby town through a church. We were trying to shine the grace of god on underprivileged kids. These children all from different situations, were connected through friendship and family but still envy normality, and go hungry. The look in their eyes, begging for help, I realized how worthless I have been in my ability to change circumstances. This was not more than twenty minutes from my cozy unbothered house.
Thousands of miles away the voices of many children don’t even exist and as for me that meal I had tonight made me sick cause if we all had fifty percent less the entire world would gain fifty percent more; the beginning of equilibrium, but no, five minutes of hunger is too much for kings. I could be wrong or right, but it’s one man’s opinion. Speak out, be heard, and help those that are mute by fault. One chance, one life, maybe you can save one.

Cgreen BRONZE said...
Cgreen BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
Overall, a well written article, however a few points. First of all, we, among many other countries, have tried to give constant and overwhelming aid to African countries WHO ARE STRUGGLING. Many African countries are extremely successful, with even more economy growth than the US. So before you post a condescending, accusatory article, please check your perspective.

allyfinder124, Bellerose, New York

Education makes people easy to govern but impossible to enslave.

This is kind of mean. I understand where you're coming from, but there are starving people in America, too. Our parents have sacrificed for us. The important thing to remember is that people around the world are our family, too. Please stopping getting your views on American society from only reality TV.

shannon07 said...
Great article Scott. Your articles are really inspirational.

~Shannon