Stopping Teen Suicide | Teen Ink

Stopping Teen Suicide

By Jennifer_Renea BRONZE, Mc Calla, Alabama
Jennifer_Renea BRONZE, Mc Calla, Alabama

Have you ever known a teen who has committed, attempted, or even thought about suicide? Personally, I know many. According to PBS.org, “One in seven high school students have seriously considered attempting suicide, and nearly one in fourteen said they had attempted suicide at least once.” A question that is striking many people today is how to stop or at least cut down the teen suicide rate.

“Suicide is the third leading cause of death among teenagers and second among college students. Nationally, twelve lives are lost to suicide each day,” (PBS.org).

Youth suicide rates vary. In 2001, white youth had a suicide rate of 11.5 per 100,000; compared to rates of 7.3 for African Americans, 6.1 for Hispanics, 6.4 for Asian Americans, and 18.8 for American Indians and Alaskans. However, within a year gay, lesbian, and bisexual teens are 14.5 times more likely to attempt suicide, than those that are heterosexual.

Girls are more likely to attempt suicide; however, boys are four to five times more likely to actually die from it.

Cutting is the most common form of non-suicidal self-injury by young patients form emotional problems like depression or anxiety.

According to Dr. David Brent, the psychiatrist who directs Services for Teens at Risk at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic- UPMC, “If you do a community survey, you find 15% of adolescents have self-injured at least once.”

There are many ways to prevent suicide. There should be people, of whom you trust, to express how you feel. There are counselors at school and other places, yet they are always busy at something, like testing, and not everyone trusts them because of trust issues.

If you know someone who is considering or attempting suicide tell an adult you trust right away, or call the suicide hot line number, 1-800-SUICIDE. You might just save a life.