Ignorance and Want | Teen Ink

Ignorance and Want

By TheNovaClytie PLATINUM, Woodhaven, Michigan
TheNovaClytie PLATINUM, Woodhaven, Michigan

If I could run away from my problems, I'd probably get lost, and then new problems would find me.
~Shelby Seeley

Are the names familiar to you? We are the ones who are hidden beneath the Ghost of Christmas Present’s robes. The two words are normal to humans, maybe, but to us, they’re sick. Sadistic names given to us by the Ghost. But who could blame him? A jolly giant with a dark side, he’s given gloom to the children beneath his covering. He is the dark side. He is more frightening than the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, because now, now at this instant, he has two children. Two, terrible children at his feet, and they are named Ignorance and Want. The sins of human beings.

Ignorance is for looking away. For turning up noses, because when humans are being told they aren’t as great as they crack themselves up to be, what else can they do but ignore. This is why the Ghost has picked Scrooge. It’s people like him who have destroyed the face of humanity. Since when do we not care? Since when is another person lesser? Ignorance will tell you because humans have become ignorant, and whenever we try to explain this, they turn the other way. But Ignorance likes Scrooge. He shows hope.

I hope Scrooge doesn’t turn his back on us, like so many other souls did. Like Marley did. Ignorance gave him knowledge, gave him time to repent, but now Marley has no chance of moving on. Marley; the ghost who haunts Scrooge forever.
Want is an entire other thing. However, I couldn’t be Want without Ignorance. We go together. Ignorance created Want. The desire for shiny objects, green money and fancy things that have no other purpose but to show off. It’s a need, an impulse. A Want to steal a life. The Ignorance to do it.

The sad thing is, us, together, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, have become the scarred face of human nature. Our sick appearance frightening from beneath the cloak, where we will live out the rest of our days. At least, until the Ghost can find newer, more disgusting faces to show the singled-out souls like Scrooge. Faces that come closer to the vile appearance of the countenance of life.

The only way we can become right, look right, talk right, hear right, is if the world first becomes right. As of this instant, I’m counting on the Ghost finding uglier faces before that can happen.

Inspired by "A Christmas Carol". I hope this further explains what I had gotten from two of my favorite characters in this amazing play/novel/book masterpiece by Charles Dickens- an inspiration to us all.