The Second Subject in Human's Ethical Dilemma - Artificial Intelligence | Teen Ink

The Second Subject in Human's Ethical Dilemma - Artificial Intelligence

By Tralie BRONZE, Hanoi, Other
Tralie BRONZE, Hanoi, Other

AI (Artificial Intelligence) is progressively exhibiting its quick advancement and mastery by outperforming humans in intellectual games like chess, Go, and the realm of art. The once-brazen claims that AI cannot outperform humans in the aforementioned fields now appear to be exaggerated, which is making people in human civilization fearful about the question if AI is beneficial or destructive. Perhaps it is premature to answer that issue because the development and impact of AI—whether it has positive or negative effects—cannot be witnessed now. However, what I am sure about is that our actions today will define our future.

For the first time in human history, there exists a unique kind of tool, which is AI, that has the ability to learn from available information (Deep Learning), study from its own experience (Machine Learning), and know how to analyze and draw conclusions from the results itself (Artificial Intelligence). With the ability to self-study, self-develop, and self-judge, AI is advancing toward superior intelligence and is currently capable of writing text, creating images, writing code, creating music, deeply mimicking the voices and images of other people, identifying flaws in both computer code and legal contracts, and forming close and intimate relationships with people.

Inventing an AI that can analyze and process data better than humans in some specific fields is always a goal of humanity. Therefore, human errors that result from limited knowledge or influences from emotions and feelings on each individual's actions will be reduced. According to Verizon’s 2022 data breach investigations, they stated that 82% of 23,000 global cyber incidents analyzed were caused by human errors, and the implications of AI will be likely to avoid unforeseeable accidents better than humans.

However, AI is still only artificial intelligence, despite having superhuman intelligence, and will continue to be influenced by various factors made by humans. Humans, nevertheless, are not "programmed" to always act morally, which has always posed several threats to society. Let's have a look at the fictitious ethical scenario I proposed for AI: A master commands his AI to use a significant amount of information on other people for illegal purposes. Will an automatic AI be designed to identify this as a criminal act? May AI overcome the obstacle of a sequence of demands coming directly from its owner? Alternatively, what will AI be designed to prioritize between humanity and morality? Each programming approach will have various negative impacts and advantages. If AI follows ethical principles, it will grow the capacity to challenge its owners and mankind in general. If AI obeys its master, it will become a tool to serve evil.

In conclusion, every technology initiative has its own hazards and benefits, and AI is no exception. Depending on how humans choose to utilize it and how AI is used, this technology will either advance humanity considerably or plunge us into the depths of nightmares. The biggest challenge facing individuals now is determining what they need from AI and what social barriers they will face in the future. It is recommended that governments from all across the world must act now to ensure a secure AI future by working with social scientists and technologists to investigate the dangers that AI can pose to humanity.