Critical Race Theory doesn’t indoctrinate-it educates | Teen Ink

Critical Race Theory doesn’t indoctrinate-it educates

By ananya10 BRONZE, Sammamish, Washington
ananya10 BRONZE, Sammamish, Washington

In the wake of the BLM protests in 2020, my high school organized a schoolwide presentation scrutinizing the deeply entrenched racial biases that permeate our legal institutions. Another name for it? Critical Race Theory (CRT). The lesson was met with a wave of disapproval from parents and even a local radio show, with some claiming that CRT is not a valid academic discipline but rather an anti-white doctrine.

This argument has been used by 18 states to restrict classroom discussion of racism, which is problematic. The need to create a more equitable society is one of the major political issues of our time. Solutions like diversity quotas and affirmative action have caused resentment in some parts of the public, including myself, as these practices seem to encroach on our opportunities. I found myself questioning why these policies were being used and how they could curb racism.  

Initially, I thought racism only meant individual prejudice. However, my perspective changed after my teacher started discussing CRT. She outlined how inequities caused by systemic racism are a legacy of slavery in the US. For instance, redlining was a loaning practice used by banks that segregated neighborhoods by race, leading to disparities in homeownership and home value.

Real estate is not the only system pervaded by racism. As NYT’s 1619 Project discusses, practices like convict leasing have contributed to discriminatory hiring practices that ultimately caused the ongoing wealth gap between blacks and whites. 

Once I learned about how systemic racism can affect almost all aspects of a person’s life, I was able to better understand the reasoning behind implementing solutions that specifically assisted those of minority status. Many argue that CRT is divisive and hateful, but personally, I feel like some of my implicit resentment has now been removed. 

CRT aims to educate on how and why systemic racism exists in our institutions. It does not state that all white Americans are racist. It does not criticize an American system that is equal to the American people.

Through CRT, teachers can expose the relevance and implications of the racism that saturates our systems today. From there, the student can decide if the issue is personally significant to them and what they want to do about it. This is not something the teachers are deciding for them.

In my US history class, I have learned extensively about systemic racism. My biggest takeaway from these lessons is that change, specifically in our legal institutions, is needed to create an equitable America. However, I do not feel that I have some sort of obligation to become the change. 

After all, CRT is not indoctrination – it’s education. 

Works Cited

Feith, Jesse. "What Is Critical Race Theory?" The New York Times, 11 June 2021, nytimes.com/article/what-is-critical-race-theory.html.

Kantor, Jodi, and Wesley Morris. "The 1619 Project: U.S. History as It's Never Been Taught." The New York Times, 14 Aug. 2019, nytimes.com/2021/11/09/magazine/1619-project-us-history.html.

Mitchell, Cory, et al. "Map: Where Critical Race Theory Is Under Attack." Education Week, 11 June 2021, edweek.org/policy-politics/map-where-critical-race-theory-is-under-attack/2021/06.

Mitchell, Cory, et al. "What Is Critical Race Theory and Why Is It Under Attack?" Education Week, 14 May 2021, edweek.org/leadership/what-is-critical-race-theory-and-why-is-it-under-attack/2021/05.

State of Florida. Department of Education. "State Board of Education Rule Development Workshop." Florida Administrative Register, vol. 47, no. 71, 12 Apr. 2021, flrules.org/Faw/FAWDocuments/FAWVOLUMEFOLDERS2021/47114/47114doc.pdf.

"Examples of Systemic Racism." Human Rights Careers, humanrightscareers.com/issues/examples-of-systemic-racism/.