Fear of Mirrors | Teen Ink

Fear of Mirrors

June 16, 2023
By abi-p419 BRONZE, Malvern, Pennsylvania
abi-p419 BRONZE, Malvern, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The last thing you want is to end up wishing you had worked harder" - Kyla Ross


Eisoptrophobia is commonly defined as an abnormal fear of mirrors due to severe anxiety, despite the individual's awareness that their fear is irrational. While this fear can stem from superstitions like the belief that breaking a mirror brings eternal bad luck or a connection with the supernatural, my understanding of the fear of mirrors goes beyond these explanations. For me, the fear of mirrors is closely linked to body dysmorphia, which can have far-reaching consequences beyond simply being "fearful of mirrors." Body dysmorphia can lead individuals to self-harm or even contemplate suicide. My definition of the fear of mirrors revolves around an extreme aversion to looking in a mirror, driven by the internal view of my body's external appearance. Sometimes, individuals may deliberately avoid looking at themselves in the mirror to prevent feelings of distress. These irrational perceptions of our bodies can significantly damage our mental health, disrupt our sleep schedules, affect our eating habits, and hinder our social well-being.

            It is important to note that I am not the only person affected by body dysmorphia. Numerous individuals worldwide face this issue, especially considering the rise of social media and our growing dependence on it. Increased exposure to social media often means encountering more people with seemingly "perfect" bodies, which can undermine our confidence in our appearance. Body Dysmorphia Disorder (BDD) commonly develops during adolescence and affects both men and women equally. According to the American Psychiatric Association (2013), BDD affects approximately 2.5% of the younger population in America. However, given that this statistic is from a decade ago, it is reasonable to assume that the numbers have significantly increased due to the proliferation of social media. Beauty standards for men and women have historically revolved around being tall, thin, fair-skinned, and possessing certain facial features. When individuals realize that their bodies do not align with these standards, it can have a detrimental impact on their self-image. As social media usage rises, so does awareness of mental health issues. Generation Z has been particularly affected by mental health challenges due to ongoing global circumstances, such as the COVID-19 pandemic and the strain on society. Notably, a study conducted by the American Psychological Association found that the stress faced by modern teenagers and schoolchildren in American schools exceeds the anxiety levels experienced by child psych ward patients in the 1950s. Drawing on this analogy, it is worth mentioning that 13-16% of patients admitted to a psych ward suffer from BDD. Additionally, eating disorders and BDD are prevalent among adults. Among adults with BDD (estimated to be around 9% of adults according to the National Eating Disorder Association), 80% reported having thoughts of self-harm or suicide, and 44% have attempted self-harm. Furthermore, a study showed that suicidal tendencies were more common in individuals with BDD compared to those with OCD. The struggle with self-harm related to body image and eating disorders remains a prominent issue faced by many Americans today.

            My personal experience with body dysmorphia occurred recently, which allows me to deeply understand the subject. Growing up in a toxic sports environment affected how I viewed my body. The lobby of my gymnastics training center was adorned with pictures of gymnasts on the walls, and the TV played highlights from Sam Mikulak's gymnastics career. I idolized these athletes and aspired to be like them, but it was constantly emphasized that I needed to look like them as well. Throughout my childhood, I was repeatedly told that I was too skinny and needed to eat more to succeed in gymnastics. Comments like "Eat a sandwich, would you?" and "Gotta fill up those shirt sleeves soon, or else you'll be no good" accompanied me throughout my upbringing. Consequently, my eating habits became irregular, oscillating between excessive eating and feeling guilty and not eating at all for certain periods. The primary reason behind these irregular eating patterns was the lack of guidance from an older figure. Instead of being taught that everybody is beautiful and functional in their way, I was raised to believe in a narrow body shape ideal. Although my family was supportive, they did not fully understand the impact of their comments. Food holds significant cultural value in Indian culture, where consuming large quantities of food is common. When my parents, cousins, grandparents, and relatives noticed my poor eating habits, they would frequently comment on how thin I looked and criticize the slimness of my face. This further worsened my eating habits, and I naturally became a slow and picky eater. I only managed to recover through open discussions with my parents, friends, and a few therapists. These discussions improved my understanding of self-care and taught me not to base my habits on others' comments about my body. I strongly advise individuals dealing with BDD to engage in similar discussions and seek support.

            It is important to recognize that parents, friends, coaches, colleagues, and teammates may not always be able to discern an individual's mental struggles. The ability to detect such issues depends on the individual's level of mental health awareness. Some forms of body dysmorphia and eating disorders may be more visible than others, making it challenging for external observers to identify internal struggles. This can be incredibly painful and isolating for individuals grappling with mental illnesses, as they may hesitate to seek help due to the fear that others will not understand their pain. Most cases of body dysmorphia manifest during childhood, indicating that parents can play a significant role in aiding their child's recovery. In a recent study, researchers examined the relationship between mothers' control over their children's eating habits and the subsequent development of dieting behaviors. Dieting during childhood has been linked to harmful effects such as eating disorders, low self-esteem, and emotional eating. The study involved asking mothers of 776 third-grade students whether they allowed their children to eat according to their preferences. The responses were then evaluated based on the level of control exercised by the mothers. Although many mothers may perceive their influence over their children's eating habits as harmless, it can often be detrimental to the child's well-being. By the time these children reached sixth grade, almost 60% of those whose mothers had reported having no control over their eating habits in third grade were engaged in dieting. In contrast, only 36% of children whose mothers exerted control over their eating habits in third grade were dieting in sixth grade. This demonstrates how the words and actions of family members and relatives can significantly influence an individual's body image, potentially leading to the development of eating disorders, overeating, undereating, or, in severe cases, self-harm.

Eisoptrophobia, or the fear of mirrors, is not simply irrational but is often connected to body dysmorphia. The detrimental effects of body dysmorphia reach far beyond the fear of mirrors and can lead to self-harm, eating disorders, and even suicidal tendencies. The rise of social media has exacerbated these issues, as it promotes unrealistic beauty standards and contributes to a negative self-image. Addressing body dysmorphia requires open discussions, individual and collective awareness, and supportive environments. By fostering a culture that celebrates diverse bodies and providing guidance to those struggling with body dysmorphia, we can help individuals develop a positive self-image and overcome the challenges associated with this disorder. Looking into the mirror, my “Eisoptrophobia” has developed into a strong perception of my physical and mental well-being.


The author's comments:

Hello, my name is Abinav Pillai, I am 17 years old and just finished my junior year in High School. My article discusses my overcoming of body dysmorphia and eating disorders. This article's central idea stems from the necessity of guidance when struggling with something as severe as Body Dysmorphic Disorder or Eating Disorders. In fact, that idea inspired me to write this. I hope this article guides you as a mentor if you are struggling, or can help you navigate a loved one to overcome the challenge of Body Dysmorphia and Eating Disorders.