Should Someone be allowed to take their own life? | Teen Ink

Should Someone be allowed to take their own life?

Euthanasia also referred to as mercy killing, is ending a life to release someone from the shackles of a terminal illness or a slow suffering death. Euthanasia is a merciful practice and helps people retain some shred of dignity in how they choose to end their lives. People affected by Euthanasia are typically the loved ones of someone who has decided to die via Euthanasia, because the process can be long and hard, and emotionally draining, not only for the family members but also for the person themself.

The people that benefit from Euthanasia are the ones that have the opportunity and privileges to actually be in a country or state where Euthanasia is legal. Because in a lot of countries and the majority of the state's Euthanasia is considered illegal for a variety of reasons, ranging from religious beliefs where people would argue that it goes against their gods will. The Roman Catholic Church, for example, is one of the leading religious groups that actively opposes Euthanasia, to the ethics and moral arguments, for example, Euthanasia isn't always in the best interest of a person, which leads us to historical arguments, like the Nazi genocide which started with Euthanasia and worked it's way up to mass murder, also known as the Holocaust which killed between 6 to 11 million Jews and gypsies, and other people known as the defects of the new Aryan race. these are just some examples of why people oppose or are against the practice of Euthanasia, “(Ethics - Euthanasia: Anti-Euthanasia Arguments.” BBC).

However, people that support the practice of Euthanasia would also argue that it is a human right, and everyone should have the right to choose how they want to die. If they are suffering from either an incurable illness or on the grounds of psychiatric health; which only very few countries allow for, there are also arguments about death itself, like is death really a bad thing which, would be a more philosophical way to look at things but, one nonetheless. “(“Ethics - Euthanasia: Anti-Euthanasia Arguments.” BBC). One view that I find interesting regards animals and Euthanasia, as Stephen Hawking would say, "We don't let animals suffer, so why humans?" (“Stephen Hawking Quote azquotes.com.”). He is right because hundreds of thousands of animals die every year from Euthanasia, whether it is because they are old or sick or don't get adopted. There are many reasons why animals get put down. Still: the overarching reason is that we don't want to see our pets suffer, because to a lot of people, their pets are a part of their family, so if they are suffering or going to be suffering indefinitely, it is time to put them down, because they don't deserve to die a slow, painful death. I don't understand why the same shouldn't go for humans if they are suffering and begging to die; why not give them mercy, because that's what Euthanasia means. The word "euthanasia" itself comes from the Greek words "EU" (good) and "Thanatos" (death). The idea is that instead of condemning Someone to a slow, painful, or undignified death, Euthanasia would allow the patient to experience a relatively "good death." Many people revile Euthanasia as evil and immoral or view it as an insult to people's memory as if their terms of death and the way they died would somehow outshine the way they lived, loved, and had a good life. 

I want to spread awareness about Euthanasia and want to do it to spread awareness to younger generations so, I could post my commentary on TeenInk because they are the ones that would be able to change the rules and regulations surrounding the laws of Euthanasia worldwide we need more people willing to stand up for something that is automatically their right, from the minute they are born to the second they die they have a right to choose if they so wish to die, without the agony and suffering that can accompany death whether it be natural or a Euthanasia type death. Everyone deserves dignity. 

Sanburn, Josh. “Brittany Maynard: Death With Dignity Law Movement Around the US | Time.” TIME, 2014, Brittany Maynard: Death With Dignity Law Movement Around the US | Time. 

“Ethics - Euthanasia: Pro-Euthanasia Arguments.” BBC, BBC, 

“Ethics - Euthanasia: Anti-Euthanasia Arguments.” BBC, BBC,  

“Stephen Hawking Quote azquotes.com.”

“Ethics - Euthanasia: Religion and Euthanasia.” BBC, BBC, 

Johnson, Cia L., and Emily G. Patterson-Kane. “Euthanasia of Animals - Clinical Pathology and Procedures.” MSD Veterinary Manual, MSD Veterinary Manual, 26 Oct. 2021,