Melanie Martinez | Teen Ink

Melanie Martinez

By LilaMunson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
LilaMunson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Have you even watched The voice? Do you get excited when your favorite person becomes a star? Well I’m going to tell you about Melanie Martinez and how she became the start she is today.

First my opinion on her is that her songs do mean a lot to her and if take the time to actually listen to what she’s saying you’ll understand what she's been thru and what her songs are about. Yes, her songs can be very dark at time but they are all very good. Her music is mostly electric pop, dark wave, and alternative pop. Her albums and songs have childlike titles but the songs have meaning and a story to go along with it. For example in her song “Soap” they lyrics say, “I feel it coming out my throat. Guess I better wash my mouth out with soap. God, I wish I never spoke. Now I gotta wash my mouth out with soap.” She's singing about what she regrets saying and wish she could wash it away is if it never happened.

It all started when she became a contestant on The Voice in 2012. During her blind auditions she sang “Toxic” by Britney Spears and got three chairs to turn around. She chose to be on Team Adam. Next she entered the battle round and competed against Caitlin Michelle. They sang “Lights” by Ellie Goulding and she was saved by her coach. Next round was Melanie Martinez vs. Sam James and again she was saved by her coach. She continued to the live playoffs and she eventually made it into the top six but was eliminated.

After being on The Voice, she began to work on her own. “Dollhouse” was her debut single and was released on April 22, 2014. Her video for the song reached 30 million views as of January 2016. On April 7, 2014, she announced that she would be signing with Atlantic Records and be going on tour.

Let me tell you about her as a person. She said in an interview that she doesn't want to be a role model for people because it puts a lot of pressure on her. She feels as if she has to be “perfect” so people look up at her when in reality she just wants to be seen as normal. Honestly it’s very stressful to be a star with funding videos, shows/concerts, interviews, items being stolen, ect. There's not a lot that you can do without people finding out, but it gets easier to manage over time. She has learned that being a star isn’t perfect at all. Life can be very stressful and hard to cope with.

Her style is mostly dark yet childish. She likes anything vintage and old but can be used in a more modern way. She’s a mix of punk and pop but she doesn't sound like a punk artist. There’s something more to her than just music, but I can't put my finger on it. Overall I think you should listen to her music, even if you don't like that style. There might be something that you might like and there will be things you don't like. It’s always good to try something new.