Dare To Be Different. | Teen Ink

Dare To Be Different.

By MercedesXO DIAMOND, South Easton, Massachusetts
MercedesXO DIAMOND, South Easton, Massachusetts

"I realize that life is risks. It's acknowledging the past but looking forward. It's taking chances that we will make mistakes but believeing we all deserve to be forgiven."
-The Dead Tossed Waves.

I dare you to accept all that the world is, and all that it has created. This world was created millions of years ago. Today the world lives as a progressing universe that is destined for greatness. However, humans (gasp!) are also the one's holding the world back. Holding those of human life that are different than the minisculy sculpted minds of some of us. Accepting WHO people are, and not WHAT they are..should be a much more likely approach....don't ya think? Imagine the world, with every human the same color, the same race, the same ethnicity/interests/sexuality/hobbies/ideas/thoughts/appearance/etc. Now take one second, and see the world as it is today....with beautiful people of every shape, size, sexuality, ethnicity and more. Now imagine that the ENTIRE world was accepting of this universe and it's people that live within. Imagine that not only the accepting, but the unaccepting accepted this. I dare those of you that are stubborn and close minded to go outside of your comfort zone and get to know, and i mean REALLY know the person and lives of gays, lesbians, and bisexuals. I dare you to glance into their sometimes confused hearts, and minds. Their souls telling them one thing..but the media, government, and religion telling them another. Now glance at yourself through someone elses eyes, and try and picture what they see. Try to think of some of the judgemental thoughts they are thinking..or perhaps actually voicing. Try being repremanded for what you are, and who you are as a person. What if someone loathed and was disgusted at the mere fact that you were Jewish, or Black, or White, or Asian, or Gay, Lesbian, or Bi, etc. If they HATED that you were too skinny, or too thick, if your nose were to big, or your face too ugly. If they hated you? Imagine if the majority of the population thought the very idea of your being..should not exist. If YOU should not exist. Now imagine that they all dared to try and accept ALL that you were. All that you had to present to the world. Every last being on this planet glanced at you and perhaps thought you were beautiful..in your own unique and special way. They got to know you and accepted the fact that you were gay/lesbian/bisexual, and formed a certain respect and interest for someone that dares to be different and excepts who they are as a person. Believing in the aspect of love is something powerful. Everyone wants to be loved and cherished, and adored and accepted. But not everyone wants to be loving and cherishing....adoring, and accepting. Why? Because your parents/religion/media/personal influences/YOUR mind..tells you not too? Because you believe that you are superior? Or because you feel that it is wrong because YOU think it is wrong. I ask you (straight people) this question: are YOU forced to love someone of the same sex? Is the very world around you telling you that what you want and are attracted to is WRONG, and disgusting, and frowned upon and sometimes not even accepted..literally? Are you forced to pretend to be someone you are not, or agree with these people? More importantly..would you listen to these people? Would you think, "Ya know? Your right..you say I should like this, then I'll go and be like this." Or will you have the strength, determination, and bravery to stand up to the entire world and say YOU KNOW WHAT?! I DARE TO BE DIFFERENT. I dare to go outside the lines, and cross into an unprotected territory. I DARE to be myself, and love myslef for who I am.
But more importantly? I dare that you accept me for the human that I am. Not the human that you wish me to be, or the human you want me to pretend to be. I dare to be different and set an example for the other millions that are JUST LIKE ME, but have nearly everything going against them. I dare to be me. I dare to be gay..and to your dismay?....whether you accept it or not.

I was inspired by an oppinion I read about the same topic. I was reading through the comments and was DISGUSTED by what I read. I couldn't go on because some of the things people had to say were that pathetic and discriminatory. I wanted to voice my personal oppinion and open up a perhaps sideways view of ways to understand that we are all the same....we are all human.

-The Dead Tossed Waves.

thanks so much. i really appriciate it:)

-The Dead Tossed Waves.

wow. no thank you!! that really means a lot to me:)

BekkahsLoopy GOLD, San Jose, California

"Keep looking forward; don't look back."
"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."

you inspire me. thank you.

LostAngel DIAMOND, Jersey, New Jersey

"Just live your life, if people don't like the way you are doing it then they can get out of it" "if you can't stand me at my worst you dont deserve me at my best"

Very moving and a great point. Love it :)