Good versus Bad Relationships | Teen Ink

Good versus Bad Relationships

2135 Mountain View Rd

Dear Readers,

According to Mary Jo Kreitzer, “Healthy relationships enable us to be who we are. They nature us and they help us grow. They help us become better people” (“How relationships affect health and wellbeing”). A relationship has bigger effects than people realize. People should be aware of what these effects are and what kind of relationship they are in.  Personal relationships have a huge impact because a bad relationship can make one have poor health and a good relationship can make one’s health improve.

Toxic relationships can cause poor mental and physical health. One reason is toxic relationships can cause someone to be sad or maybe even “depressed”. This is because they feel alone and loss with the feeling of a poor relationship. Another reason is poor relationships may cause one or both to stop taking care of their self mentally and physically. People within a bad relationship feel stuck, stressed, and not knowing how to handle the situation, thus giving up in trying. According to “How relationships affect health and wellbeing”, poor relationships can bring down one’s mental and physical health; this can result in depression, headaches, and weight loss or weight gain (McHenry).  I have seen my own friends experience these because they were so sad and the stress of the relationship caused headaches. They loss or gained weight because they were so “depressed”, they would stop eating or they would eat more to try to fill the sadness.

A healthy relationship can cause someone to be healthy mentally and physically so people should be aware of the type of relationship they are in. One reason is strong relationships can create a happy and positive mindset because having a healthy relationship sets someone to be in a good place in life surrounded by love. Another reason is a healthy relationship can encourage both people to feel good about their self and to take care of their self mentally and physically. A good relationship will lift someone up to the point of realizing their mental and physical is important. According to Erin McHenry, “Relationships have been linked to overall improved health” (“How relationships affect health and wellbeing”). My friends that were in a healthy relationship were stress-free and took care of their self physically. Some may argue that it is all in your head and personal relationships have nothing to do with your wellbeing but they have an impact on your mental and physical health.

In conclusion, the type of relationship a person is in affects your mental and physical health. If you know you are in a good, healthy relationship then you’re okay and have nothing to worry about. If you are in a toxic relationship then you should identify what is making the relationship toxic and fix it or choose to walk away. Really think about whether you are happy and if the relationship you are in is the kind of relationship you would want your child in. So at the end of the day are you truly in a healthy relationship?

Sincerely,

Kayla

My name is Kayla and I am 17 years old. I connect to this piece in a way because I was in a relationship that started out healthy and made me beyond happy. Unfortunately, it went down hill fast and I was unhappy. It took me a long time to realize that nothing was going to change and I needed to walk away. I ignored that I was unhappy for awhile and didn't believe I was in a bad relationship. So, I think it is important for everyone to understand the relationship they are in!