Teens Pain = Success ? | Teen Ink

Teens Pain = Success ?

December 13, 2008
By Anonymous

Whenever there are interviews with celebrities or successful people on tv, they always say how hard their childhood was, how they had no friends at school, and got made fun of constantly. They say it only made them a stronger person and gave them the determination to keep going.
For example, we watched a movie on the biography of Charles Dickens today and he asked the man he was speaking to about his inspiration for writing, if he has had any pain in his life, because that is how he found his writing, in his misfortunes as a hardworking child with parents in debtor's prison. I mean, I understand that there are many people who have been through rough times in things such as abuse, rape, divorce, or just didn't have many friends in school, but there are only so many of those people out there, ya know? So tom me it always make me wonder, do I have to have a sucky childhood to be successful? I somewhat think that most of these people are exaggerating a lot.
But I've always wanted to hear an interview from the point of view of the people who went to school with them and supposedly made fun of them. I want to hear their perspective about their 'old classmate who became famous.' What were they really like? Do they listen to those celebrities say that stuff and think, "What a bunch of bull?"


The author's comments:
Just some random thoughts. . . I don't mean to diss all the people who make great lives out of hard beginnings, they're very inspirational to me.