I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California

"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

Yes, you're right, doomtreat. But I feel that the use of phrases like "begs the question" have changed over time and while are not technically correctly used, the intent still comes across.

Much like the word "quote". It's technically a verb by all formal and academic standards, but it's often used in the vernacular as interchangeable with the noun "quotation". It's been used that way for the past 100 years, actually. While still technically incorrect, it's accepted as common use. 

Sorry if I phrased that oddly. But do you kinda sorta get what I mean? :)

I did not expect this article to get this much attention! I've read all your comments, and I very much appreciate all your feedback.

To be honest, I wrote this in haste. It's not the most well-researched or well-written article out there. Heck, I'm not even sure if I'm swayed by the writing in this piece.

But I stand by my intended purpose, which was this: I think for all her show and glitz, there isn't much substance. My concern isn't with what kind of clothes she wears or doesn't wear. It's not with her fashion taste or any of those material things. I'm concerned that Gaga and her immense popularity are emphasizing individuality in one's material items and clothing rather than promoting REAL individuality. Real individuality I personally interpret to be courage in one's beliefs, independent thinking and the awareness of our choices. 

I've seen a lot more of her since I wrote this, and I can't say that she's changed my opinion. I've seen interviews, her speeches, and Gaga's public appearances, and she's failed to impress me. (And yes, I said that she failed to impress me. As a performer who markets herself both as a commodity and idol, I reserve the right as the consumer to disapprove.) She SAYS that she is a supporter of LGBT rights, anti-bullying, women in entertainment and media, etc, but I don't SEE those beliefs anywhere in what she considers her art, (and of course, she insists that her art IS her) namely her music and performances. To be clear, I fully support all the causes she claims to be a supporter of. My irritation is not with her views, but with the way she talks about and treats them. She will act like such movements are the most important things in the world to her, and yet she almost never takes the initiative to empower those beliefs through her work.

When she DOES talk about these beliefs, she is always very vague, calling for “equal rights” but not actually naming her grievances, talking about “the oppressed” all the while still keeping the spotlight on her. Take, for instance, her appearance at the VMAs. She brought gay and lesbian soldiers who had been discharged under Don't Ask, Don't Tell as her dates. I loved that she did that. But what I didn't love was seeing them not as the guests of honor, but as people sitting uncomfortably on the sidelines. What I didn't love was seeing them be reduced to trendy, “I'm such an activist” accessories. She overpowered those brave and incredible people that night, and she did it on purpose. At the end of the night, no one is discussing the inequality of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, or even LGBT rights at all. They're talking about how nice of a person Gaga herself is for doing that, how cool, how thoughtful, and wasn't her dress just so gorgeous? Don't even get me started on the meat dress fiasco. 

I'm absolutely not telling people how to dress, or that being “normal” is the only way to go. I would never. I was trying to say that there's a difference between looking different for the sake of being different, and actually having the guts to be different, to have convictions outside of glamour, materialism, and shock value. 

icingonthecake BRONZE, Riverside, California
I agree with you completely. This piece says it all...

MadisonReneeJane GOLD, Norman, Oklahoma

The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy. - Jim Rohn

Well, if you don't think fashion is an art form or a way of expressing yourself I could see where you're coming from. But what I don't understand is how you can say something like, "...telling us it's okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package." What I got from this was that you don't like how Lady Gaga had to change herself to be famous. But she obviously likes the change, because if she didn't she wouldn't be as elabroate and colorful as she is because she already has the media's attention. Personally, I love material things like high heels and lipstick. But I also love nature and art and music. Yeah, her songs are about sex and money, but she has a different and more artistic perspective on it than most artists today like Ke$ha. She is a role model to her fans because she doesn't give a d*mn what anybody but the people she cares about think. I personally believe she isn't materialistic nor pathetic. Compare her to other artists before her and you can see that Lady Gaga is one of a kind.

what..............

BumbleBee82 said...
ur mean i like lady gaga jk lol i dont like her

Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

great work. u could b a critic someday

and i am SO GLAD some1 decided 2 look past the money & the sex and think about something important :)

clairexaudrey PLATINUM, Bethel, Connecticut

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen."
-Elizabeth Kubler Ross

I absolutely love this. I'm happy that there are some people who aren't afraid to question music artists and the music industry, especially in such a thought-provoking and poetic manner. Good job(:

Melody777 GOLD said...
Melody777 GOLD, Tonasket, Washington

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you."

personally i do like Lady Gaga, but this article gave me a new perspective on her...which should be the point of writing, good job!

Amnoona BRONZE said...
Amnoona BRONZE, Bridgeport, Illinois
1 article 1 photo 10 comments

Loooveee thiss! Seriously! This is such a great review!

Your writing style is awesome.. I <3 the way you string together your words, it's so poetic & well-spoken.

What's more is that every point you made is so valid and though it's your opinion I don't think anyone can disagree with this because what you say is the complete truth!

TuffGurl said...

I used to love modern music, but now I like punk rock from the seventies, motown, and classic rock. And Drake. I <3 Drake, because I just do. But anyway, I used to like Lady Gaga, and now I realize what she is and how us, as a whole in America, are turning out to be. We are arrogant and we need a woman in a mask, a few wigs, wearing a cone-bra or sparkles bra and panties singing about sex, drugs, and money to catch our attention. It is pathetic. I wish that Lady Gaga was normal and gotten a record signing and was still herself. I think I would be a fan of the REAL Lady Gaga.

And what's even worse is that most people don't even know her real name.

Spazzmine BRONZE, Foley, Alabama

"Some of the greater things in life are unseen thats why you close your eyes when you kiss, cry, or dream... "Anonymous.

Couldn't agreed more!:)

toflyaway said...
toflyaway, Melbourne, Other

"You're Bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret, all the best people are" -Alice In Wonderland (2010)

I completely agree.

I mean, she is definately not the only one writing about sex and money. And doesn't everyone have their own style and the sorts?

Regardless, I admire your writing style, readers can feel the emotion behind it.

xAllegria BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Ça fait tellement du bien d’aimer les gens qu’on aime, que ça finit par faire mal. Je sais pas comment on survit a ça. Non franchement, je sais pas. LOL (laughing out loud) ®, Lola.

It's true that Lady Gaga's gone a bit over the top trying to catch the media's attention- that's probably why she came up with those ridiculous-sounding statements you quoted which would shock and influence fans. But think of it this way: people love being shocked. And nowadays, if a rebel with the likes of David Bowie came about, his "rebellion" would be given nothing but a sweet tap on the head and a  lollipop. But at his time, such a change was just as shocking as Lady Gaga is now. Desensitisation.

I don't like Lady Gaga's music either, and I don't like the fact that she's giving up so much just to be a star- not even good in music, a star. But you'll have to hand it to her, she's determined and it takes guts to outstep boundaries as she has. As for the "mask and sparkling breasts", well, I do think it's art to some extent. Have you seen her music videos? Shocking, aren't they? How much effort has she put into them to make them so attention-gripping, even bothering to come up with a story for them? All in all she just wants to make an impact. And it's working, isn't it? We're talking about her, right now.

bennyB PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee
Im with you

bennyB PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee
you are so right I haet when people act crazy adn wierd just to be different when you really do not have to

bennyB PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee
really thats not even a valid statement

bennyB PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee
is about time someone posted it, I dont like that lady either her music is horrible

doomtreat said...

You misused the expression "begs the question. Begs the question does not mean "to raise the question", "to ask the question" or the like. It actually means to respond to a question in a way that does not really address the issue raised by the question, more like avoiding the question really

Sorry that just bothers me.

I tried to not like lady GAGA, but too catchy... couldn't resist.

J.L.G said...
J.L.G, Bruceton Mills, West Virginia
I agree. And i also think her songs and costumes are wierd.