I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

April 2, 2010
By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen


Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?



I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 471 comments.


xSeeUx SILVER said...
on Aug. 10 2011 at 9:27 am
xSeeUx SILVER, Ishpeming, Michigan
5 articles 3 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Just because your paranoid don't mean there not after you- Nirvana

whats wrong with being outlandish nobody wants to see the same thing over and over

plus she stands out


on Aug. 10 2011 at 6:02 am
Jenna4Jesus BRONZE, New Brunswick, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 65 comments

"Mean essay post." lol

If she supports being who she is, why must she wear high heels, why does she color her hair, why must she perform vulgar, sensual dance moves? As far as I am concerned, she is telling little girls that unless they look and act like they're from another planet, they are not special, because Lady Gaga doesn't make much of herself without being provocative and outlandish. She takes her meaning in what she does and what she looks like- not "who she is."


on Aug. 10 2011 at 5:54 am
Jenna4Jesus BRONZE, New Brunswick, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 65 comments
Then for the same reason, why comment? If you disagree with this essay, why write about it when you can just get over it?

on Aug. 10 2011 at 5:22 am
SamEMajor SILVER, Roswell, Georgia
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I'm me"

The way I look at it, if it really irritates you this much, don't listen to her music or watch interviews. It's really that simple. I agree with your stance to an extent, but I also believe that Lady Gaga has brought in a new era of love and peace that other pop musicians have just thrown out and antagonized. Why write about something that irritates you when you can just get over it?

on Aug. 10 2011 at 2:05 am
WallEtheUnicorn, Portland, Oregon
0 articles 27 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Good friends are those who care without hesitation, remember without limitation, and love even without communication."
“Your best friends are going to hurt you every once in a while, you must forgive them for that.”

Okay...Firstly, Lady Gaga's fans are not all girls and not all of them are teenagers. Lady Gaga promotes being who you are and yes...she can get outrageous and cross the line sometimes. However, she's a way better role model for people than some other female singers these days. You make some good points but really? An article about how much you don't like a celebrity....

on Jul. 30 2011 at 6:41 pm
andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
8 articles 0 photos 174 comments
honestly if everyone wrote an article about what celebrity they didn't like and why this website would be very boring for alot of pple. Get over it, she is just another person trying too make a living. Good artcile horible subject

Alicia said...
on Jul. 23 2011 at 1:57 am
I'm a 17 y.o girl too and I also strongly dislike Lady Gaga for the same reasons you dislike her =D

on Jul. 19 2011 at 11:15 pm
AddieDay SILVER, Danville, California
7 articles 0 photos 24 comments
I completely agree with this article. It's also very well written and convincing. Good job!

on Jul. 19 2011 at 8:57 pm
fortheloveofwriting GOLD, A Place, Oklahoma
11 articles 13 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~Pablo Picasso


Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
1 Corinthians 13:4
A man's ways are his own, but the LORD weighs the heart.

man, that's a bit harsh kimmaaaa. She's just expressing her opinion just like you do yours. There's no need to be that rude about it. i like the article and can see valid points, and nothing anyone says will sway me from my opinion.

on Jul. 19 2011 at 5:32 pm
introducingshelby GOLD, San Diego, California
15 articles 1 photo 139 comments

Favorite Quote:
"People change so you can learn to let go, things go wrong so you can appreciate them when they go right, and things fall apart so better things can fall together."
-Marilyn Monroe

I like Lady Gaga but I also like what you have to say about her. You made a really good argument :D

on Jul. 19 2011 at 10:47 am
CookeysAndCream SILVER, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
6 articles 2 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."-Augusten Burroughs

Like most other sixteen year-old girls in America, I like listening to Lady Gaga's music. I know I'm being manipulated, but in this case I've just given up trying to fight back. I don't care for her insane videos or fashion stunts. But I do care for her voice, and the be-yourself power ballads. I really did try to fight it off. I'm anti-mainstream in a way that almost reaches hipster levels. But I still like Gaga. I'm willing to ignore the superficial nature of it all for a great album, just as I ignore the Beatles' drug problem. I just don't want to deny myself happiness when there's no good reason to get upset.

I don't think this is really a proper answer to your piece, but I wanted to say something. You seem like an intelligent person, and bring up some valid points, even though I can't quite bring myself to agree with them. And to the other readers blasting down this article with fragile bias, try to look at it from another perspective. It's more enlightening that way.


LovelySerena said...
on Jul. 19 2011 at 6:27 am
LovelySerena, Dededo, Other
0 articles 8 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches on the soul. ~Emily Dickinson

Lady Gaga is awesome and inspiring, but there is some things in this article that makes a point though. You just have to look at both sides first.

on Jul. 13 2011 at 10:51 am
Kelly-In-Wonderland GOLD, Westfield, New Jersey
12 articles 0 photos 43 comments

I was born this way!

Lady Gaga supports being proud of who you are, even if someone makes fun of you or writes a mean essay and post it online. Of course there were about a million things in this article I agree with, but I will not ask her to alter herself just because of the person I am.


neverminde said...
on Jul. 12 2011 at 1:53 am
you know nothing especially the true understanding of the word "wise"...

on Jul. 11 2011 at 9:58 pm
far.from.you. GOLD, Bradenton, Florida
17 articles 0 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
" She completly fell for him, but he didnt even stumble...</3" -unknown.

Lady gaga is a wise, inspring, and truthful indivdual no matter what you say..

on Jul. 5 2011 at 10:46 pm
redhairCat PLATINUM, Pebble Beach, California
47 articles 20 photos 411 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I can do anything!"

I like Lady Gaga, but I can see your point! She has a great voice - just needs to write songs that don't have to do with sex or partying

Leisie BRONZE said...
on Jul. 2 2011 at 2:40 pm
Leisie BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
I have many.

A witty, truthful article. There should be more like this.

kimmaaaa said...
on Jun. 29 2011 at 12:45 am
I think you are reading way too much into lady gaga's costumes, make-up and performances. you had a school assignment, and probably no life, and wrote what you did. you spent hours thinking of what would grab peoples attention and would get a decent grade. Please, she is sucessful and famous for a reason. Stop over analyzing her as an artist and get a life of your own, it might be fun? Stop hating life, and start enjoying it!

on Jun. 27 2011 at 2:57 pm
StephanieRoro SILVER, Buhl, Idaho
9 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Call no man foe, but never love a stranger." -Stella Benson

I agree with this piece. I believe Lady Gaga has a very good voice, BUT apparently it isn't enough. It makes me wonder if she would rather be known for her looks over her music. She is NOT the first to dress crazily. Grace Jones also wore unorthodox outfits but she retained a sense of class and beauty. Lady Gaga is sloppy and similar to something you'd see in a circus with the sole purpose of making you laugh and then she expects people to respect some kind of hidden message. People call her revolutionary, if that's so... why does she sing about the same thing that every other modern artist is singing about?

on Jun. 27 2011 at 2:38 pm
Dragonfly_Girl PLATINUM, Pleasant Hill, California
21 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

I actually DO sometimes listen to lady gaga's music (and enjoy it too!), but I really appriciated this article because of the statement it makes about american culture and society. A lot of the people who commented negatively on this are just such die-hard fans that they wouldn't even take the time to THINK about this piece. It is well-written, clever, witty, and makes a good point. However, I do think sometimes some pretty fantastic art comes from some pretty messed-up people- and that is probably why so many people love lady gaga.