Please Say No To Drugs! | Teen Ink

Please Say No To Drugs!

By CelticThundeGurl SILVER, Benson, North Carolina
CelticThundeGurl SILVER, Benson, North Carolina

"It is time for us to realize that we are too great a nation to limit ourselves to small dreams."

- Pres. Ronald Reagan

I beg every teenager that comes to this website, to say "no" to drugs. You have more influence on your friends and peers than you could imagine. It all starts with the thought that either it's cool to do drugs or you can just do it once without it affecting you. Drugs have a terribly strong hold on those who fall to them. There are so many teens who o.d. every year. They didn't think that doing a small ammount of drugs would ruin their lives, but you can see what happens to them all. That fate could be our friends'. We could save their lives if we would just take a stand! Be a different teen! Make a difference in your friends lives!

JustinNelson BRONZE, Woodbury, Minnesota

Human life without knowledge of history is nothing other than a perpetual childhood, nay, a permanent obscurity and darkness.

Yeah but if you take morphine for a little scrape, and you get hooked, well then that;s okay because the doctor prescribes it! Or if you have the made up disease known as: ADD or ADHD they give you pill-form amphetamines, oh boy that'll help 'em! But no POT, listen Someone-That-Isn't-Me smokes and he says it's okay and he can function just fine on it and it relieves tension caused by this incredibly horrible modern-society like poverty, immorality, and of course ignorance.

Drugs don't kill people; Police in riot uniforms with rubber truncheons, tear-gas, and an over-inflated ego kill people. The government has killed more people than illegal drugs could even hope to kill in the history of the universe! In fact, the government supports the Tobacco companies that kill more than 400,000 people a year with their abominable and abhorred products, with gross bureaucratical accuracy. 

hey durgs only kill you and Dont do it if you love your slef

alexis ruiz said...
alexis ruiz, Woodbine, New Jersey
POT IS A LEAD WAY DRUG! if you want to be broke all your life because you want to use your money on drugs your crazy!! 

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
heres mt take, marijuana is inly a gateway drug if the person has significant issues that theyre going through, in which case marijuana is of course the first drug they do and because it doesnt give euphoria they move on to stronger substances. however i know many people, even past meth and heroin addicts that saw marijuana as almost a saving entity in their lives, it let them feel a little bit of what they needed to feel, meaning it served as a non destructive crutch and from that they never went back to meth or heroin, or opiates n general

Caravana GOLD said...
Caravana GOLD, Joplin, Missouri

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through him who gives me strength."

I don't know how pot came into the picture here but you have your opinion on that and the author has theirs. I will say that I have done that before in my life and it did ruin my life it formed a habit I use to not think it was a drug either but it became a bad habit that I depended on to get through all of life's problems and that's not right. To the author good job :).

mymakersdaughter BRONZE, Cherry Valley, Illinois

"That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful." - Ninon de L'Enclos

to PoeticBliss228: actually, if you Google the definition of drugs, it will say "a substance that has a psychological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body, in particular." therefore, marijuana is a drug. also, marijuana definitely is a gateway drug. eventually it will not be enough. and there is absolutely NOTHING responsible about taking any kind of drug. if you aren't responsible enough to say no to pot but are "responsible" enough to say no to harder drugs, you are being dumb and not being responsible. you are saying yes to an illegal substance whether it be pot or heroin. it is still illegal. you are still saying yes. and you are irresponsible. i'm sorry but there is NOTHING responsible about taking drugs.

PoeticBliss228 BRONZE, Kettering, Ohio

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." -Kid Cudi

Well type it into google and good luck. But my point was that it is truly impossible to measure something like that because it would be based on a hypothetical situation... that being, if the person had not smoked pot would they still have ended up on a harder drug? There would be no way to know. Also you have to take into account that marijuanan is an illegal substance and a person willing to try one illegal substance is probably more likely to try others statistically, but that doesn't mean that the weed made them do it. Marijuana is not a substance that alters you so much that you can't make a decision, so if you chose to do more powerful drugs it would be on you know what I mean. I just don't think it's fair to blame the ireesponsibility of people on a substance. Weed didn't gateway anyway into anything, people gateway themselves.

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

That is an opinion. That is not a proven fact.

I agree.

SemiVeggie was talking about legal drugs... Last time I checked, marijuana isn't legal.

To PoeticBliss228:

Admittedly, I have not done research, so I don't have the exact statistics to give to you. Nor do I have the time to conduct this research, as I have other, more important things to be doing in my life. However, I can tell you with complete certainty that there have been studies done and surveys taken that show that marijuana is a gateway drug. It may not be in all of the cases, but in many cases, it is. Anyone who has taken a middle- or high-school health class can tell you that. 

Where in that article did it say the word "marijuana?"

PoeticBliss228 BRONZE, Kettering, Ohio

And by the way, I know many people who smoke weed (adults and teens) and who lead perfectly normal, happy lives. And I know even more who smoked when they were younger and just stopped when they got older because they had kids or got too busy, etc. Weed doesn't ruin your life thats just a ignorant statement and the evidence against it is all around.

PoeticBliss228 BRONZE, Kettering, Ohio

Responsibility is the name of the game. Weed is not responsible for people's decisions and it is not a drug. It may be an illegal substance,  but it's not a drug. Drugs are man made or have underwent significant chemical altercations.

emolover95 GOLD, Park City, Utah

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

I stick by what I said because I've seen it first hand. But clearly because you have personal experience with this it is clouding your judgement and we will get no further. I cannot say anything than what I've experienced and I still say that drugs ruin your life.

PoeticBliss228 BRONZE, Kettering, Ohio

Marijuana didn't ruin your brother's life. Your brothers choice to use heroin and crystal meth ruined his life let's not use pot as a scape goat or an objectto place our blame

PoeticBliss228 BRONZE, Kettering, Ohio

And I smoke pot along with many of my friends. Just because you or your brother decided to start taking other drugs doesn't mean you can try to blame marijuana for that transition. That was a choice made by someone, so you can "beleive" whatever you want. Someone who smokes weed may be more likely to try other drugs but that is a result of the person not marijuana. That person is probably more open to try drugs in general. Marijuana does not cause soeone to try other drugs therefore I do. This claim is like saying that alcohol gateways people into drugs. But it's clear that you have personal feelings in this matter because of an experience, which is going to cloud your judgement. Your brother started abusing drugs because he chose to, pot should not take the blame for the decisions of people. It as a substance itself is relatively harmless, and thats all there is to it.

emolover95 GOLD, Park City, Utah

I respect your opinion, but yes marijuana is a gateway drug. I have seen it ruin people's lives. It's not something you want to mess with. My brother started with marijuana and know he's into harder drugs such as heroin and crystal meth. He started with pot and now his life is ruined. He is currently in jail and in and out of foster care. So, perhaps not everyone gets into harder drugs, but I believe that marijuana is and always will be a gateway drug.

PoeticBliss228 BRONZE, Kettering, Ohio

Leave marijuana out of this. It isn't a drug, and to be honest, it's wonderful. If you really want to save lives abolish alcohol and save the 75,000 lives the abuse of it claims every year