Vegatarians | Teen Ink

Vegatarians

By JWATT SILVER, Houston, Texas
JWATT SILVER, Houston, Texas

James is a vegetarian. And he is the leader of the vegetarian movement and he has successfully converted America into a vegetarian country. Ten years later we are all gone because of the loss of oxygen and global warming has taken effect and has killed us all. Now how do you feel about vegetarianism? Vegetarians say that meat is murder and that we are killing what God created when they are killing what God has also created, plants. This is especially the wrong time to be a vegetarian when there are global warming issues today.

Vegetarians say that meat is murder when vegetarians are murderers themselves. They are killing plants too. Yeah les’s all the save the cows and chickens when we are all going to die when all of the plants in the world are gone and global warming takes effect or we die from loss of oxygen. How does that sound to you? At least we save the cows right. As long as we are saving the cows and other animals then I’m all for being a vegetarian. Since that is all that matters right, the animals, as long as they are safe then everything is ok. It’s not like God put animals on the earth for us to eat right. He wanted us to eat all the plants and save all animals.

If we do accept vegetarianism as a country the results would be catastrophic. Global warming would eventually take effect because of the loss of plants. And we will be killing our own oxygen supply and will die of loss of oxygen. I can see it now. The newspaper title in China “America’s number of livestock has increased exponentially.” The next day “America is wiped off the face of the earth due to loss of oxygen, but at least they saved an extinct animal for a little while.

Vegetarian’s hearts are in the right place. All they want to do is to make this a better world to live in. People need to eat meat. That is all there is to it though, your whole diet cannot be lettuce and carrots. Your body needs proteins and carbohydrates to function on a daily basis. And if all of America becomes vegetarian, you will see a dramatic decrease in lifespan in America. I am not saying that vegetables are unneeded for good health but it can’t be all you eat.

In conclusion, Vegetarians ‘s say that cow is meat is murder, even though they are killing the plants too. When they kill the plants that is just opening the door for global warming period. But ya’ll are helping the environment so it’s ok. Another characteristic about Vegetarians that they are correct in why they want to be vegetarians but they are wrong in how they go about themselves. Any time there is a Vegetarian at a school they always sit but they because people think that they’re weird and they go around acting like they are so perfect because they are vegetarians. Lastly

ColdplayForever BRONZE, San Jose, California

"Coldplay fans are the best in the world. If you like Coldplay, then you're obviously very intelligent, good-looking, and all-around brilliant."
~Chris Martin

Hello, I am a vegetarian, I found what you were saying quite offensive. You say that we, "go around acting like they are so perfect because they are vegetarians." Well, why would we do that? Not all of us are vegetarians to "save the animals." I am a vegetarian because I personally cannot stand the smell of meat, let alone the taste. Also, your line, "meat is murder and that we are killing what God created when they are killing what God has also created, plants," is inaccurate for some of us, because those few do not believe in God. Please research and try to be fair when you write. Thank you.

JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas

"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

Hi, I'm an actual vegetarian unlike what seems to be most of the people in the comments and personally, I don't eat meat because I can't support a system that rampantly abuses not only animals, but also migrant workers and immigrants. omnivores need to chill lmao.

Namama36 said...
Namama36, Summer Looms , Idaho

I am bold, expressive and unique. Nationis Coniunge!

You sound rude

Evilcheeze51 said...
I agree that there are a few vegetarians that go crazy trying to forbid everyone in the world from eating meat and they are wrong in doing that. But you can absolutely get protein and proper nutrition from food other than meat. For example, beans, eggs, etc. If everyone were a vegetarian, Yes, global warming would be a problem, but are we right to think about killing and eating plants which will deprive us of oxygen when we are currently cutting down forests and destroying nature that gives us so much resources for a few more buildings?

dintandmint GOLD, Hamilton, Other

"And these children/that you spit on/ as they try to change their worlds/ are immune to your consultations/they're quite aware/ what they're going through" -David Bowie

I am a vegetarian because I can't be involved in the death of sentient beings. It doesn't sit well with me, but I don't think everyone should go vegetarian if they don't want to. It's a personal choice, that is to be taken seriously. However, we would not run out of plants and oxygen if we all went veg-head. The world is beautiful, and I just can't bring myself to being involved in the death of something that can see and feel that too.

TerraAnimusPatronus BRONZE, Eden, North Carolina

«You are either the best kept secret or just surrounded by blind people.»

What do you think will happen when you have no place to fram your plants you have to cut down trees Meat consumption is not the problem its overcrowding of the planet

annmus said...
annmus, Temecula, California

I can appreiate someone sharing their opinion, but perhaps you should do your research before you post such blatant ideas.  I disgaree with a lot of what you said in your article, but I think everyone has already argued that your facts are incorrect.  

Anyway, I've been a vegetarian for four years now, and when i first wanted to stop eating meat, my parents forced me to research health benefits, as well as vitamin and mineral deficiencies assosciated with this diet, i had to read several books about vegetarianism, and i had to research protein alternatives, i've also done several school reports, so i know my facts.

Your arguement about animals going wild, truly won't happen; eating meat is integral to so many societies around the world that it is foolish to claim the entire population might stop eating meat. It won't happen, and therfore i don't condone vegetarians who try to tell people that eat meat that they shouldn't.  However there are more effective, humane, non-pollutant ways to raise and slaughter livestock.

So yes, vegetarians shouldn't tell others to stop eating meat.  Food choice is very very personal and therefore shouldn't be judged.  However, in the same sense, your article is judging our food choice. YOu are telling us what we should and shouldn't eat. It's hypocrisy to blame us for judging you and then turn around and say we are wrong.  YOu entered your article in the discrimination section.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this section is for strength of the discriminated against the discriminators.  Vegetarians are the minority and scathing reports like this, in which we are depicted as the enemy, makes us the ones discriminated against.  

Perhaps you could argue agaisnt racism or the SMALL POPULATION of vegetarians hell-bent on ridding meat from the world; leave the rest of us to just enjoy our lifestyles in peace.  And do your research next time.

KellyR GOLD said...
KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

Plants (to my knowledge) do not feel pain or have feelings, and animals do. Also, I highly doubt that if the entire country became vegeterians we would just run out of plants. Our ecosystem adjusts accordingly to its inhabitants.

livetoserve BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

I am a vegetarian because I don't like the taste of meat and I have not enjoyed it since I was 8.  To be honest, I probably don't get enough protein because I don't eat a lot of beans, nuts, or tofu.  However, that does not mean that just because one does not eat meat does not mean they don't get enough protein.  

also, I know there are ways to argue environmental issues on both sides--my personal opinion, though, is not to stereotype people by what they eat.  I don't think worse of people because they eat meat, in fact, I know it's normal and I wouldn't encourage being a full-out vegetarian to most people.  

I don't even like animals that much either.  I would suggest that you would a. clarify that this does not mean all vegetarians or b. instead of slamming all vegetarians, write an article merely asking vegetarians who do have bad habits of being condescending (and sometimes way too extreme) to politely stop and think.  

Still, it was a well-written article!

Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana

To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

Would we really be losing so much oxygen if we're  planting our own food? What about all the trees cleared for farming? As for "vegetarians are murderers too," I highly disagree, as plants have not been fully scientifically proven to feel pain.  I suggest you do a pinch of research before writing on such a controversial topic.

Rosina PLATINUM, Ann Arbor, Michigan
This article is completely inaccurate. We already go through insane amounts of plant matter to feed livestock, and have we been wiped off the planet because of lack of oxygen? NO! Also, you're sadly misinformed about what vegetarians eat. My entire diet is not lettuce and carrots. On the contrary, my diet is more balanced than many of my carnivorous friends.

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

This is not to say that I am not willing to appreciate your opinion. In fact, I agree with you. People who are vegetarians to "save the animals" are nice, but it doesn't really help. And I don't think I'm so perfect. I just don't like meat. However, if I dare utter the words, "I am a vegetarian," it's all, "You know, you're killing plants too!" as if I haven't heard that a thousand times already, and "PETA will never rule," like I'm a member of PETA.

Great article too.

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

Thank you so much! I'm not insulted in the least, despite the fact that I am a vegetarian. DISCLAIMER: I am not a member of PETA, I am not insane, and I have not killed anyone in my thirteen years. 

However, everyone hates me anyway, so I'm not surprised that you do. Go on: flame me. Just one last thing before you do: I'm not a vegetarian to "save the animals", I just think meat tastes disgusting. Go on, go on, flame away.

Bella-Faye GOLD, Oxford, Massachusetts

“There comes a time when you have to stand up and shout:
This is me damn it! I look the way I look, think the way I think, feel the way I feel, love the way I love! I am a whole complex package. Take me... or leave me. Accept me - or walk away! Do not try to make me feel like less of a person, just because I don't fit your idea of who I should be and don't try to change me to fit your mold. If I need to change, I alone will make that decision.
When you are strong enough to love yourself 100%, good and bad - you will be amazed at the opportunities that life presents you.”

I have to say that I have never heard an argument like this. Rather then just saying 'meat is good, so I eat it' you backed it up with things that you believe in and find to be true. I am a vegetarian, but we all have our opinions about htings :) I thought it was interesting to hear the other side of the story, you don't seem to hear things in this perspective, very often. I have to say, though i may not agree with everything that was said, I think this was a good article! You have talent!

guinea_pig_girl BRONZE, Centennial, Colorado
Uhh... well constructed article, but almost nothing in it is true. Livestock contributes to global warming, but the livestock would not be raised in the first place if no one ate it. Plus, plants don't have feelings. Animals do. It's therefore much worse to 'murder' a plant than an animal. Finally, did you know that vegetarians, on average, live seven years longer? You must know some pretty bad vegetarians- not all of them think they're 'better' than everyone else: I know I don't. It's because of uninformed people who automatically assume the worst about vegetarianism that I wrote the article The Truth About Vegetarianism. I suggest you read it. :)

dragonbiscuits SILVER, Near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"You cannot acheive peace with violence" -several people

...lack of plant life? We are not going to go around eating pine and maple trees! The farmland around today would be used, and there would not be an overrun of livestock-they are bred as often as possible to create cows for meat, so without the need for meat, it would go down because there would be no "forcing" reproduction.

Sunshineyday said...
I do not think your argument is accurrate. The catastophe you described does not seem scientifically accurate. in fact,it's almost laughable. there are non-meat alternatives to protien, so you can survive without meat. And we don't need to convine vegetarians to eat meat, just like they don't need to convince us not to eat meat.

Hanna Crooks GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky
Ben Young, I find it ironic that you say I don't know what I don't see any solid facts backing up this argument. I respect your right to your opinion, I just think you should be aware of what you're saying.

JWATT, of course your lifespan will decrease if you eat only lettuce and carrots. That's why there are beans, nuts, and a wide variety of soy products for protien. A lot of vegetarians also eat eggs and/or dairy. As for carbohydrates, we get PLENTY of those :) (bread, pasta, rice, etc.). If we only ate vegetables, there wouldn't be any vegetarians walking around right now; we'd all be in hospitals.

From your conclusion, it's looks like you've had experience with a group of self-righteous vegetarians. I know some of those too, and they annoy me. Please don't think all of us are like that. I do NOT think all livestock farmers are evil, or that anybody who eats meat is evil. I don't judge people who eat meat; none of my family and no more than one or two of my good friends is a vegetarian.

Also, shinyhippo, thank you for disagreeing politely! My point, though, was that meat production is much worse for the environment than vegetable production. I've read up on this. The source I posted in my first comment is one place to look, but you can find this information pretty much anywhere.

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

i'm not a vegetarian but i think what you're saying is ridiculous. come on, a business of meat and of vegetables depends on demand- more veggies grown if more are in demand, more cattle purchased and butchered if in demand. it's not like greengrocers go around forests looking for cabbage and carrots. these veggies are grown to be eaten and they are in fact increasing in number if vegetarians increase in number and there is more oxygen on the planet. in addition, it might be better to start recycling and use a bike to reduce carbon emissions instead of preaching that eating veg kills carbon drains -_-

HANNA LIKES MEAT BECAUSE I LIKE MEAT AND MEAT ITS MEAT AND MY LEFT BROTHER LIKES MEAT AND SO DOES MY RIGHT STEP FATHER AND HIS MOTHER-IN-LAW LOVES MEAT SO MEAT IS TO BE LIKED BY PEOPLE BECAUSE MY STEP COUSIN-IN-LAW LOVES MEAT BECAUSE ITS MEAT AND MEAT LOVES MY OTHER LEFT SISTER AND MEAT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PROCESS OF MEAT SO MEAT IS GOOD FOR YOU TO EAT AND SO DOES IT LIKE TO RUN AND MEAT TYLER LOVES TO RUN AND RUNNING IS GOING TO HAPPEN LIKE MEAT IS GOING TO BE EATEN AND JAMES LOVES MY MOM WHO LOVES MEAT SO IT JUST MAKES SENSE